The Highest Tower in The World (Above Sea Level)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
August 11th 2007
Published: October 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Going to the top of towers seemed to become a recurring theme of this holiday. The first was the Calgary Tower. Whilst this is only 190m high, we were advised by a recording in the lift that it was the “highest public viewing gallery in the world", but with a footnote adding “above sea level". At the top there was a section with a glass floor. This was clearly a late addition to the tower, most probably copying that of the CN Tower in Toronto (see The Civilised Way to See The CN Tower).

Prince’s Island was a nice place to go for a walk. This is close to the Riverside area and is accessible by bridge. The Riverside area was great to eating and shopping, and was further enhanced as there was some kind of festival going on - with lots of different take-away food stalls outside.

We also went to the Glenbow Museum, which had a lot of exhibits and information about the first settlers in the area. There was also a fantastic activity room for the children with loads for them to do whilst they were there. They were able to design their own shoes and magnets, as well as making up some
Tower ViewTower ViewTower View

View of Downtown Calgary from the tower
maps.

The tickets for the tower you allowed us to go back as often as we liked for 24 hours. We were hence able to go back there later to see what the view looked like at night, after we had been out for a meal in the evening - Joey's again, although we stayed awake this time (see An Exciting New Country and We Just Wanted to go to Bed).

In a lot of ways, Calgary reminded us of Perth (see Buses, Trains and Fish and Chips in The Rain), although I’m not sure what the people of either city would think about that. Either way, it should be considered a complement as far as we were concerned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tower FloorTower Floor
Tower Floor

The glass floor of the Calgary tower
Princes IslandPrinces Island
Princes Island

The bridge across to Princes Island


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb