Up, up and away


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
August 9th 2016
Published: July 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.1752, -115.573

This morning was a relatively late start, at 9am, and so I had time for a run in the morning mist around the campsite, the mountains peeking out of the cloud every now and again as I ran. I had been warned to stay on the trails at all times when out running, as bears have a natural chase instinct, but one section meant I needed to run along a track which went through the woods. I don't think I have ever run as fast as I did and I was chatting away to the bears as I went, making sure they knew I was there.

Fortunately unmaimed, I got back to the campsite and then we were ready for our big thrilling excursion of the day. The minibus dropped five of us off in one of the suburbs around 30 minutes away from Banff where we were briefed on the safety aspects of our helicopter flight. After ducking under the whirring propellers, I was lucky enough to have the front seat, while Stacey and three of the other girls sat in the back. Headsets firmly on, and with the pilot explaining all of the various aspects of the flight, we floated upwards into the blue sky and our twenty minute adventure had begun. We sailed over vast mountains and deep, lush green valleys. The river snaked below us, a winding streak of brilliant blue, stark against the surroundings.

Banff ski resort was etched into one of the mountains we flew over, the green trails manicured in loops and swirls on the steep helicopter dipped and turned swooping us over the dramatic scenery as we oohed, wowed and whooped with awe and wonder at the beauty of the landscape below us. We passed over man-made azure lakes, watching the awesome power caused by the hydroelectric dam, a different perspective afforded by being air-bound. The only worrying moment was in the back of the helicopter. Stacey told Chantelle she was cold, and asked if she could close the small window that allowed a glass-less view out for cameras. Chantelle immediately went to close the window using the handle, and it was only the quick intervention by Stacey that stopped her opening the main door to the helicopter! Aside from that, the ride passed without incident; the twenty minute flight was over too quickly and soon, we were on our way back to Banff.

We spent some time wandering the pretty town, the streets named after animals and natural features all leading off one main avenue, its two ends crowned by mountains. The sun was shining and, after a visit to the national park information centre, we hired bikes and cycled along the stunningly beautiful river, out towards Sundance Canyon, a deep rocky valley carved out by the river that rushed along its base. The river we cycled along was a vibrant turquoise colour and moving so slowly that it looked like a series of lakes as we caught glimpses of it through the trees that lined the trail. Stacey's bike was absolutely fine. Mine on the other hand, had a seat that twisted round with every push of the pedals, which made for a fairly frustrating ride, although the downhill sections, when we could just let go and free-wheel, were incredible - the wind in our faces and the sun steaming down. After two hours, we were ready for some lunch and so headed back to Banff, where we ran into Emma and Al again and enjoyed a lovely lunch before heading back to the campsite, where we lit a fire and enjoyed a delicious dinner, before heading to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb