Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 23


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
June 20th 2014
Published: June 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Especially awakening and breakfast then onto the bus at 0815 for a trip back towards where we had come from yesterday. Today we are going to the Moraine Lake and then Lake Louise (one of the girls is salivating over the Lake Louise visit).

Back down the highway we have used twice now - same wildlife fence to keep the animals in and the tourists out when suddenly - BEAR is yelled from the back of the bus. Patrick does his usual stop and we reverse on the highway - grizzly bear - yay.....

Find it across the other side if the highway but right against the fence so visibility is great - lots of pics and then away we go - all excited at sighting our first grizzly bear - and a great sighting to boot.

Get to Moraine lake - 30 minutes to go do our stuff - there is a rock pile beside the car park that is touted as a good viewing site - up we climb. Correct - great viewing area of another beautiful blue/green lake with the obligatory mountains covered in snow...... Hard to take.

Onto Lake Louise where we are told we will be having our official group photo taken - bugger, need a haircut and have the wrong t shirt on. Too late now. Walk to our photo shoot area - all set up with a tripod as tall as me plus with a box in front of it - and a tiny photographer. Al lined up, some subtle adjustments then about to take the shots and a little squirrel appears and starts running through the bags that are lined up while the photos are being taken - the photographer has no chance of control now.....

Squirrel shooed away and photos taken. Then we have time to wander around the lake and the Fair not Lake Louise hotel - a very large majestic hotel on the lake that is way out of our league, but not for the APT travellers. We are told of some new stained glass windows in a wing that we should visit - eventually find our way and they are extremely fascinating.

Back out the front - photo shot with lederhosen dressed staff at the hotel then we go and sit at the lakes edged soaking up the views. Eventually back to the bus - early.....

Back to Banff for lunch before we go to the gondola. Lined up for the gondola, and told to be back by 1600, also be aware that the time of the queues at the top can affect the time to come back. Up we go, one of the passengers a little nervous - tells us of the gradient several times on the way up....

There is another hill top across from where we arrive with a walkway so we decide to do that - hmmm, by the time we get to mount Sanson we are puffing like a steam train - bloody lot of steps and height gain fro our landing spot. Worth it though - views are spectacular and there is a stone hut that an original weather recorder built that has been preserved at the top that is the point of no return.

Back to the gondola and a long queue, luckily we are not the last - quite a few behind us here. Off after the obligatory photo shoot, and funnel through the gift shop to buy our $25 photo - NOT......

Back to town and we need to buy new tooth brushes, someone left the other attached to the mirror at jasper - d'oh. Shopping done, then off to Cows for an ice cream - chocolate covered waffle cone and ice cream - standing in the street eating, and holding Chris's ice cream (coz she went to investigate the beaver tail shop - will explain later) and next thing the other trafalgar tour bus drives past - with Julie and Greg in the front seat going ape at seeing me with 2 ice creams. Isn't that a normal sight.......

Need to be back at the hotel for a 1800 departure for a musical show dinner. On our way back meet Greg and Julie in the street - unfortunately they aren't doing this one, but others from their tour are and will be on our bus. Away again, more commentary, and 3 elk beside the road that we don't stop for - bit blaze now.

Into the theatre place and sitting with Vicki and Tracey (the poms) and another couple we hadn't had too much to do with - or see for that matter. Good table. Reasonable night of singing and show, food reasonable. All over then back to the hotel. Cal greg and Julie for a drink - on their way, invite Vicki and Tracey as well, and then one of the other Aussies - Kylie arrives and we have a huge shuffling of chairs, etc. to fit us all in. All done and we sit and chat/ giggle, etc.

A good night was had by all, and great to catch up with the others as well.

Good night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb