Banff


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
June 16th 2018
Published: June 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The weather was not cooperating for the final day of our tour. Rain in Banff and surrounding areas, and even Bruce's magic wand had disappeared. We had a tour of the local area this morning, with a few options for the rest of the day.
After a drive through the golf courses at the hotel, the first stop was Bow Falls, a bit different because usually there is a bit of a walk to whatever we are seeing, but there were the falls, right at the carpark.
Next a stop at Surprise Corner, a bend in Tunnel Mountain road, where there are views across to our hotel. So all out for photos in the rain. The Hoodoos were next, rock formations, more rainy photos, but passed a herd of elk (females) grazing near the road.
Because by this time, the helicopter flights (for those that had booked the option) were cancelled, and nobody was going up on the Banff Gondola (couldn't see the top for the clouds), we had a little more time, so the tour guide and bus driver decided to take us up Norquay Drive, a winding mountain road (up to a ski resort in winter) almost to the top where there is a viewpoint overlooking Banff and the Bow Valley. Lovely view, but we were in the second front row of the bus today, so had a great view of driving this windy road on the wrong side of the road!
We then opted to stay in the township of Banff, very quaint, wandered around, bought coffee and some lunch before heading back to the hotel.
Then wandered round the hotel and grounds.
This evening we had a talk by a Canadian Mountie (retired one), then a farewell dinner for the whole group.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Long corridor to our roomLong corridor to our room
Long corridor to our room

Except it wasn't at the end of the corridor - it turned a corner, and was at the end of the next corridor!


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb