Banff and Jasper National Parks, Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
August 12th 2014
Published: September 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we were going on a kind of long hike up this mountain that was really, really pretty because there was a nice lake that was called Peyto Lake. It was really blue. The mountains were also really pretty because of its beautiful flowers. I took a lot of pictures with my new camera that Ania gave me. At one point we stopped to have a drink and eat. We had apples and dried fruit. Next we went up just a little bit more and Vitor started building things with rocks. The view was amazing. Finally we went down the mountain and Ania told me a few things in Polish because she is from Poland but of course I do not remember.

Then we went to Jasper National Park and on the way we saw some mountain goats on the road. When we got to Jasper National Park we took buses to get up a glacier, but those buses were HUGE! They had one of a kind tires that were just meant for those buses. When we go to the glacier we were allowed to drink the glacier water so we got out water bottles out and poured out the
A Fun SelfieA Fun SelfieA Fun Selfie

Peyto Lake
water and replaced it with glacier water. I fell two times. We took some dorky pictures. Finally we went back to the hostel and slept.

______________________________________________________________



______________________________________________________________

Dad's Comments:

Wow, what an incredible day. Seeing pictures of Peyto Lake was one of the main things that inspired this trip to Banff. The pictures I had seen in the past and the ones we took this time does not come close to capture the beauty of the lake and surrounding mountains. What made our time at the lake even more special was the hike we took that for about 2 hours we only saw about 4 other people. After the massive crowds from the viewpoint near the parking lots, the hike to the plateau was so tranquil and peaceful. Just kicking back and taking it all in was one of my favorite moments of the trip. Ania, Vitor and Sofia absolutely loved it as well. Wish we could have spent the whole day there. Sofia was fascinated by all the mountain flowers and took some great shots.

But, as it goes with me, there was something else to do so we headed back down....time
TranquilityTranquilityTranquility

Peyto Lake
to go into Jasper National Park and go on a glacier. Cool. Not the first time Sofia has been on glacier as we did an incredible snowmobiling day trip on a glacier in Iceland 2 years ago. About an hour ride in which we saw some mountain goats, and then a short bus ride and we were on the glacier. Sofia ended up doing some "skiing" and fell down a couple times, but was quite the trooper.

Back at the Hostel, Sofia could not wait to play BS with us. She had taught Ania in the car. Sofia was so excited when she won the first game, the first time she ever one that game. It was a relaxing night at the hostel after an incredible day. Lots more fun planned for our last full day in Canada....

________________________________________________________



_________________________________________________________

Accommodation: Hostel - HI Lake Loiuse Alpine Center

Hikes: Peyto Lake and Bow Summit Lookout - Hike as far as the Lake Peyto Plateau - approx 2.5 miles round trip. After visiting very crowded Lake Peyto viewpoint near parking lot, only saw about 4 people on 45 minute hike up to plateau and back. Extremely peaceful with breathtaking views and stayed about 1 hour at plateau)

Drive: Icefields Parkway Lake Loiuse to Columbia Icefields (about 100 miles)

Wildlife: Mountain Goats

Sites: Lake Peyto & Athabasca Glacier


Additional photos below
Photos: 91, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



13th September 2014

Banff
It is on our bucket list.
13th September 2014

Hi Sofie. Welcome to my part of the world. I really enjoy reading your blogs and I think you take on what you see is wonderful. Have fun in Canada!

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb