Day17


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
September 29th 2009
Published: October 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

September 29, 2009
From The Bloggers Without Borders!!!!!!
“Rocky Mountain High”! After driving all day we arrived at our destination in Banff National Park. The ride from Shelby to the border was about 40 miles. The Canadian border guard looked like a 6 year old with a pony tail but she was a feisty one…not at all funny like our friend from the U.S. border who called us hippies. I don’t know why but as soon as we approach these border crossings, I immediately feel like some sort of criminal…guilty of some infraction. Maybe we ARE carrying weapons or illegal drugs! Maybe we DO intend to commit a crime while we are vacationing here…heck, maybe Whitey Bulger IS in the back of our van (although frankly he’d be hard pressed to fit!).
During the ride we had a somewhat lengthy discussion about gondolas…we read there were gondola rides at one of the lakes up here. Bill, who you may or may not know has a “significant” height issue thought they were ON the lake, ( understandable)and agreed to go…however they were actually rides UP the very, very, very high mountain! When Bill heard this, he quickly declined with a noise; somewhere between a grunt and a growl…well I’m not sure how to even spell it…maybe “Graaaf”… or “Ngruff”! We all knew instinctively what he meant… ixnay on the ondolagay ideray!!! Bill says that’s not how the conversation went but he’s such a good sport he’ll let it stand (literary license)!
Our initial view of the Canadian Rockies was breathtaking but the day was hazy and some of our views were obstructed.
Finally we arrived at our magnificent cabin at Johnston Canyon Resort in Banff. We are literally on a mountain precipice overlooking Johnston Creek. The cabin is small but efficient, containing everything we need for our stay. It’s decorated with mission style furniture with a propane stove (that acts as a heater) and a fieldstone fire place that kept us cozy and warm. Bill is the “fire wood man” and is keeping our home fires burning. We’re so comfortable and warm here that we almost can’t pull ourselves away, but we manage to walk down the hill to the resort restaurant. We chatted with two of the waitresses there, both of whom seemed fearless as they described some of their past and upcoming adventures. The food was great but quite expensive so tomorrow we’ll be back to PB and J!! The walk back in the dark was a bit scary as we hoped/were afraid we’d see a bear!
Today’s Road Lesson: Be nice to the Canadian Border Patrol (just in case Whitey IS in the back of your van)!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb