Bermuda - Combining business and pleasure


Advertisement
Bermuda's flag
North America » Bermuda » Hamilton
May 22nd 1977
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

22 May 1977 Sunday. The only trip I took Linda on was to Bermuda. The official part was for three days where I was to conduct an acceptance inspection for an ammunition storage compound. We flew Eastern Airlines from Washington National to Bermuda, and I can understand why they went bankrupt. The stewardess was passing around candy and when she got to us, she told us that there wasn’t enough for everyone so passed us by. I was too shocked to respond. We never flew Eastern again.

We stayed at a small boutique hotel on the hill above Hamilton. We ate at the hotel restaurant the first evening. We should have realized that the meal was going to be expensive when the maitre de brought the menu without prices. It was a great meal, but we almost spent our weekly food budget for one meal. From then on we ate either at the base officers’ club or fast food restaurants.

23 May 1977 Monday. The next morning we rented two 50cc motor bikes for the week as this would be our mode of transportation for touring the island and getting to work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

On the first free day, Monday, we drove down to Hamilton and walked around to see the historic post office where the rarest stamp was issues, and then to the church, government buildings and shops. I was going to buy some Bermuda shorts, but Linda didn’t think they looked good on me…something about skinny legs. In any case our shopping budget was now being spent on food.

We then scooted along the North Shore, through Flatt’s Village, to St. George which is next to the airport and Navy base where I would be meeting the next three days. We had lunch there and then continued our tour of the east end of the island, through Tucker’s Town and along the south coast where we stopped just south of Hamilton for a swim at a secluded beach with pink sand. We would return to this beach often as it was just south of our hotel. We had KFC for dinner.

24 – 26 May 1977 Tuesday through Thursday. The next three days I scooted to work, but had time in the evenings to wander around the Hamilton area.

27 – 28 May 1977 Friday and Saturday. We scooted to the west end of the island all the way to Somerset Village. Although Bermuda is a small island, this took all day, especially with several hour breaks at various secluded beaches. Saturday, we went back to some of our favorite spots including the pink sand beach.

On Sunday we flew home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th June 2011
Linda posing on the beach

Mom is adorable!
5th March 2012
Flowers in Hamilton

http://www.yongefloristhamilton.ca/
I never seen this types of flower ever. Such a very beautiful.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb