Gulf of Aden, between Somalia and Yemen


Advertisement
Middle East
April 15th 2012
Published: April 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

<strong style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">Sunday 15th April 2012:

Today has been another scorching hot day so we were glad to stay in the air conditioning in our cabin and work on our scrap book. Reducing more than 400 Dubai pictures to around 20 was no small task! To recover, we spent the afternoon round the pool doing nothing more taxing than swimming, reading and sleeping.

We were escorted through part of the Gulf of Aden today by the Japanese Navy and will have the British Navy tomorrow.

This has been an interesting day to be on a Cunard ship because it is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic which also means it is the 100th anniversary of the rescue of the survivors by Cunard’s Carpathia. The ship held a one minute silence at mid-day followed by quite a moving broadcast by the Captain and tonight we had a wonderful commemorative dinner complete with a very fancy souvenir menu. We also went to a show tonight and it was good with some excellent singing and dancing. The theatre on board is decidedly weird with some seats at 90º to the stage but the good news is that some of the shows on that stage are very watchable.

We have another good day lined up for tomorrow: the movie <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">War Horse and a lecture by Richard Farleigh, one of the early dragons from Dragon’s Den.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.663s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0945s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb