At Sea - Arabian Sea


Advertisement
Middle East
December 8th 2006
Published: December 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our Wonderful Cabin Steward TeamOur Wonderful Cabin Steward TeamOur Wonderful Cabin Steward Team

We miss them !! They spoiled us rotten.
Woke up to the coast of Oman off our port side as we sailed in the Arabian Sea (northern part of Indian Ocean). It was a bit windy with a comfortable air temp of 79 degrees F. I walked a nautical mile on the track and followed up with some exercise time in the fitness center.

I arrived at the Mandara Spa for my 50 minute Swedish massage with my Swedish therapist, Alexandra (first time I’ve ever had a Swedish massage done by an actual Swede). It was called a Balinese Bliss massage and began with a foot washing and dry body brushing. It was very relaxing and turned me into a ball of mush for the rest of the day.

I returned back to our cabin to relax on our verandah and watched Dr. Dieter’s presentation taped the day before on our in-cabin TV. “Does Oil Wealth Choke Democracy” was a thought provoking lecture that discussed how democracy has begun to flourish in those middle eastern countries who realize that their oil reserves are running out and how they need to get involved in international trade and tourism in order to financially survive in the future. He discussed
Spa Check-inSpa Check-inSpa Check-in

Oceania Mandara Spa
how education and the need to diversify, promotes democratic thought, even in those countries that still possess a benevolent dictatorship. Such as Oman. Oman realized they will run out of oil reserves in 2015, and opened up to outside trade less than 10 years ago. Sultan Qaboos has also put aside a large percentage of the oil generated money to put into education programs to prepare his people to operate businesses with the outside world.

I spent a lazy afternoon poolside and joined our trivia team for a third place finish at today’s competition.

We had dinner at the Grand Dining Room tonight with Carol—one of our trivia team participants. I enjoyed the roast venison as the main course and a scrumptious key lime pie for dessert.

Turned in early tonight, in anticipation of our arrival in Muscat, Oman tomorrow morning.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb