Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
July 17th 2017
Published: July 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Yes, we are our way home with a couple of days in Dubai. An uneventful flight yesterday after an early start. We arrived in Dubai about 19:00 and then managed to make it to the accommodation. It is a nice studio apartment, plenty of room and a good price.

A late start this morning as we are still on London time (3 hours behind). The heat hit us as we left the hotel as it was around 42 degrees. It got to 46 later on, although someone told us it got to 49. There is a sand haze covering the sky and all the buildings are in colours to match the sand. There is also lots of building work going on. Traffic is usually good at letting you cross the road and just stop while putting their hazard lights on.

There are some advantages of having a face that goes very red in the heat. We were able to take advantage of a short cut to the railway line because I think they felt sorry for me. The train station and bus stops are all air conditioned, thank goodness. The trains and buses also have women and children areas only. These are strictly observed.

We went to visit Dubai Zoo. Some animals had the fan running on them and in other instances it was turned around so visitors could have some benefit. The animal display is not what we usually see for animals such as lions and tigers. Their cages are fairly small and concrete. The tiger does have a swimming area though. They are building a Dubai Safari so may-be the animals are going to moved out there. A number of the animals on display have either been confiscated or rescued. By the time we had finished looking at the zoo, both of our shirts were dripping wet.

We then caught the bus to the main bus depot and walked along Dubai Creek to catch an abra (water taxi) to the other side to the spice souk and the gold souk. Running the gauntlet of people trying to sell us: apple phones; designer handbags; copy watches, t-shirts, spices and cashmere scarves. Needless to say we didn't buy anything. Stopped for a drink of lemon and mint and lemon and ginger. A bit different but perhaps what you need in this heat.

Time for dinner. Found a nice little restaurant and had Arabian food. Very nice and a little different. Then back to the train and hotel.

.

Advertisement



18th July 2017
Lion at Dubai Zoo

Love the creek wonder what they would call some of the creeks here? Have a safe trip home think the temperature will be a bit of a shock.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb