Day 3 - Dubai


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we head off to the old part of Dubai to see the Gold Souk via the metro and then cab to the souk itself. This is a great old area of Dubai with tiny winding streets filled with shops places of work. This area is a huge contrast to the tourist areas of Dubai and is filled with real soul, sweat shops where dozens of workers sit at sewing machines and boats are unloaded by hand. There are dozens of guys rushing out from little dinghy shops to offer you watches and hand bags, all knock offs of course, you just have to be firm and say no and keep on walking. The river where the Dhows tie up are a bustle of work, sounds and people with the boast loaded high with all types of and after several hours of wandering around it was from washing machines to fridges, all loaded by hand. Pam stopped to take photos and one grizzled old guy asked us to take his photo, happy to oblige Pam clicked off some shots and then the old guy asked for money, we gave him 10 Dirhams and he wanted more and kept saying money, money, we had no intention of giving more and it got a little heated when his boss came up and told him to beat, we scarpered quick. The heat down here is intense at around 36 so a few hours is all we could manage, we then headed off back to the hotel to soak in the pool for a while before heading off to do some more night photos. We returned to the Burj Khalifa and then went to the Burj Al Arab which was not lit up at all. We wanted to see the Jumeria Mosque so we asked the Taxi driver to take us there and he promptly asked which one, 1,2 or 3, not having a clue and not being able to get across to him we wanted the main mosque we had to flag that. The final stop was the Palms for night shots and then the marina. Having an early start in the morning we headed back to the hotel for some well-deserved rest.

Dubai, a city of contrasts with much oil wealth shared by a select few, thousands of foreign workers again sharing in this wealth and then the ordinary local who shares in the wealth very little at all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th May 2014

DUBAI
Great photos, you sound as though you are having the greatest time. Been a bit concerned not hearing from you . Glad you are OK. You look great on the camel incidently. Not a place I would want to go to but you two seem to be having a wonderful time. Looking forward to your next blogs. Lotsalove

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb