Grant and Rae's Oz Trip Feb/Mar 2014


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
March 19th 2014
Published: March 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

it was a long flight, a very long one............we arrived safely in Dubai at 05.00 local time after about 15 hours in the air. Took some melatonin tablets, which are supposed to help adjust your body clock and managed some sleep on the plane.

Took a taxi to our hotel, The Shangri-La and was there by 6 o'clock. Unsurprisingly our room wasn't ready........but we offered an upgraded room complete with Horizon Club privileges, at an additional cost of course. Given that we didn't want to waste the day, we took it.

Very well appointed room on 38th floor (probably not that high by Dubai standards!) with an uninterrupted view to the Gulf (Pic 1). The Horizon Club membership gave us access to a small gym and pool on the 42nd floor. After sorting ourselves out a bit, I went for a run and Rae went into the gym. We then swam and used the hot tub before heading for our second breakfast of the day, having had one on the plane!

After unpacking we wandered around the hotel, familiarising ourselves with the various facilities and eating places before going down the main, outdoor pool for some "R & R" as the military say (pics 2 and 3). It was 21 and sunny, which was fine.

After afternoon tea in "our" Club (I could become a real "scunner", as the Scots say), we decided to take the hotel shuttle bus to the Dubai Mall, supposedly the largest mall in the world - I wasn't looking forward to this. But, I really enjoyed it despite the shops!! It is massive but there is more to it than just shops: The Waterfall, the Souk Atrium, a huge fish tank complete with sharks, manta rays etc., The Dubai Fountain which is a man-made lake. The fountain only erupts in the evening and we'll go back there tonight to see it......when I'll take the camera (because I thought that we were only going to the shops...........).

After we got back, we had complimentary pre-dinner drinks and nibbles before opting to go to the in-house Vietnamese which was a first for us - enjoyable.

By the time it came for bed, I was shattered unlike Rae who had managed to snooze by the pool during the day.......or it could have been the melatonin.......or the wine. Anyway, I went out like a light........hence no blog!

Today we're doing some more relaxing before a city tour this afternoon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb