Day 5 - goodbye Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
October 14th 2013
Published: October 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Up at Stupid o'clock and off to the airport. Goodbye to our dear friend - and thanks for the laughs and the beds (do you feel deflated - in more ways than one?). A much needed coffee (though Colonial on the Terrace in Wellington, NZ, we miss you!) and chicken and pesto focaccia and croissant (which we didn't need) we chose our Duty Free and boarded another A380 bound for Munich. OMG, I had a birthday cake, photos and staff singing happy birthday to me at 39,995 feet, above Bucharest (thanks Nath)! I cried! Okay, so I'm a little tired......

Munich - first impressions - teeny tiny airport, lots of grey, looked dirty and very backward especially after Dubai. Train ride into town through green pastures to Haufbahnhof Central Station. The Hotel was close and very adequate - clean and reasonably priced but could do with a safe and aircon. We dropped our bags and went in search of the Hop on Hop off bus. Saw some great sites but the driver never stopped for photo opportunities 😞 Our reception staff recommended, for a true Bavarian experience, that we dine at Augustine Kellers (the only Munich family owned beirhaus) and we were not disappointed. The long spiral stairway lead us underground to a cellar-type restaurant, with litres of beer awaiting us. From leaving a Country where allegedly you can't eat pork, to nothing but a smorgasbord of piggie delights from a wiener to a knuckle. Roy noted there was a table of Russians next door but I commented there was not need for rushin at this restaurant. Ok, it was a location thing and very funny at the time, probably helped by the beer. A nice walk home via the usual many parked bicycles. However these ones had baskets which had been turned into rubbish bins (of course, not by us). I was in hysterics, possibly due to my non-affiliation with beer. Brendan/Brad (inside joke) played the Jenny? Roy? Oops can't tell, matching jackets (Where's Wally) game in reference to Roy purchasing the same orange windbreaker as me (another 'you had to be there moment'😉. So great to end another day full of laughter!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb