The big trip over and Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
March 18th 2005
Published: March 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Dad, Me and MumDad, Me and MumDad, Me and Mum

Ready to go to the airport
Hey everyone, well we made it! After over 28 hours of flying we're finally in the UK.

The flight from Auckland to Dubai was a pretty huge trip, and by the time we flopped down in bed in some hotel room in the middle east we were shattered. We arrived in Dubai airport at 5:30am on the 15th March, in no time we were in our room, looking out to this strange city, with the we're not in Kansas anymore feeling. I had probably the best shower and breakfast I've ever had, due to the relief of finally making it, after that we crashed then that arvo hopped in a taxi to Burjuman mall, and checked out the flash shops.

Next day we did a city tour in the morning, this was a great idea as Dubai is quite spread out, doing the tour meant we could tick off all the main highlights, like the Burj Al Arab, (which is a 7 star hotel, costing 25,000 dirhams per night, which is just under US$8,000), Jameira Mosque, all crazy massive buildings in the city, went on an abra ride on the Dubai Creek, and saw the Gold and Spice Souks.
Burj Al ArabBurj Al ArabBurj Al Arab

7-Star hotel anyone?
Dubai is a crazy city, theres heaps of construction going on, they're building the World Islands, manmade islands all shaped like the countries of the world with luxury Villas, they're also building an underwater 8-star hotel.

That arvo we did the 'Desert Tour' which was 4W Driving through the desert dunes, this was absolutely wicked, going up down and sideways through the dunes, later we went to a 'bedouin camp' kinda like a touristy 'marae village' but the arab version with camel rides, falcon hunters, lady doing henna tattoos, belly dancers and a kabab BBQ, we soon meet up with a bunch of other travellers and was quite alot of fun.

Next day me and Bill just chilled out, tried to re-arrange the already stuff luggage, then wondered off to the airport and flew out of Dubai to the UK.

So Dubai was wicked to see, the shopping is unreal but I dont believe that its heaps cheaper even without the duty, the contstruction and the city is kinda crazy and full on, probably wouldnt need to go back but was glad to have seen it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dubai CityDubai City
Dubai City

Dubai City by Dubai Creek
Jumeira MosqueJumeira Mosque
Jumeira Mosque

This is a copy of a famous mosque in Egypt
Racing CamelsRacing Camels
Racing Camels

These camels are breed like horses for racing.
Amy on a CamelAmy on a Camel
Amy on a Camel

It had to be done!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb