Emirates Airlines and Dubai Airport


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
January 11th 2010
Published: January 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

20:30 Nellie and Monk have arrived at Dubai airport and are waiting for the flight on to Bangkok at 23:10.

After fears over the weekend that a new bout of snow would cause problems and wreck Monk's carefully laid plans - no snow, no problems and the flight was more or less on time.

Monk had never flown with Emirates before and was impressed. The seat pitch is very generous, and the food good (for an in-flight meal) - and it wasn't a dry flight! And it's over £300 cheaper than British Airways. The Emirates planes have a super-duper in-flight entertainment system with hundreds of items 'on-demand' - you choose what you want and when you want to watch it on the seat-back screen in front of you.

Irene and Monk usually travelled to Bangkok direct by Thai Air, but this time, because Monk booked late, Thai Air was full. It's not altogether a bad thing coming via Dubai, OK, the overall time is longer, but the flying time's about the same and the break in the middle makes it seem less of an ordeal. Plus, Dubai airport's not a bad place to while away a couple of hours - and it's got free WiFi (as this blog post testifies). Emirates flies into the new terminal at Dubai which is spacious and is a very civilised place to change planes. They have wonderful 'lounger' type seats tucked away from the main thoroughfare so you can snatch a few hours' sleep if your connection time allows. There are 'recharge' stations all over the terminal where you can top up your lap-top, mobile phone and camera batteries - all free-of-charge.

The captain had a bit of trouble landing the plane and had to call Nellie upfront to make the final approach - see the picture of Nellie showing off after landing the Boeing 777.

Monk's Meanders


This is Monk's first real trip since Irene trundled off and it doesn't feel right travelling without her. She was such a perfect, fun travelling companion and every part of a journey was a new, exciting adventure to her. During all the years together, Irene nand Monk very, very rarely travelled with anybody else, preferring to do things by themselves.

Advertisement



12th January 2010

dubai sounds like nellies kind of place
i guess i will be doing the same trip next week. but from amsterdam. unfortunately i wont have anyone to travel with so you are lucky you have nellie. she (?) sounds like the perfect travel partner, but then again there is probably no such thing. i'm planning on staying a night or two in dubai. they say they have a big building there worth seeing. then onto bangkok. good luck on your journeys.
17th August 2010

Hi,
Nice to know about Dubai airport and I am also eager travel to Dubai through Emirates airline and this information provided by you is really helpful for me. Thanks for the nice article. http://www.bayut.com

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb