Dubai - size matters!


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
March 15th 2018
Published: March 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I'm celebrating my 50th birthday with 50 new experiences. My husband and I love to travel and have visited many places. So when choosing new experiences, I chose the United Arab Emirates (UAE) - an Arabian Peninsula nation settled mainly along the Persian (Arabian) Gulf. The country is a federation of 7 emirates.
Jose Gomez, from the dept. of tourism was our guide. He is very passionate and has a pluthera of information that makes touring the city enjoyable and fun. Look him up on Facebook!
With Dubai, size matters.
Dubai is the site of ultramodern Burj Khalifa tower - the tallest building in the world. Very impressive - at over 828 metres (2,716.5 feet) and more than 160 stories. A must see! On the 123rd floor is a restaurant and lounge. Very pricey. At.mosphere lounge is the less expensive way to enjoy the luxury of the spectacular view. Everyone must spend at least $90.00.
Actually, everything you see or hear about is the biggest, the largest and has the most gold. They pride themselves on having the world's record on practically everything.
The city also has anormous shopping centers and extravagant entertainment attractions.
We traveled the souks (Arabian markets).
Dubai Gold Souk is a traditional market in Dubai, UAE. The souk is located in Dubai's commercial business district in Deira, in the locality of Al Dhagaya. Jose helped us pick out some gorgeous pashmina shawls. I hate haggling. But you have to. One particular shawl started at 700AED and I finally got him down to 100AED. Which makes me think how much of a increase they make on each product. In one market the sales person tried to rip us off, so always count your change. Better yet, have exact change.
We traveled by boat to the other souk and swear we were in a bumper car carnival. They could care less about banging their boats into each other. No rhyme or reason.
I'm a vegetarian and in most countries is a death sentence. Not too many people know what to give us. Especially me, because I'm a picky eater. Gratefully they have wonderful hummas and baba ganoush!

One of the best dinners we did have was at Shimmers. A beautiful place that is right on the Indian Ocean and faces the beautiful Burj Al Arab. It is the third tallest hotel in the world (although 39% of its total height is made up of non-occupiable space).
I hope Dubai is a must on your bucket list.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



20th March 2018

Veronica & Jeremy - Thanks for your Dubai visit
Dear Veronica, Greetings to you from Dubai and thanks for for your valuable feedback.. I wish you all the best for your future endeavors. Kind regards Jose Gomez
4th April 2018

Dubai Desert Safari
Nicely Explained, i enjoyed reading your blog, I myself was in dubai recently and i went took the overnight desert safari dubai tour it was a lifetime experience for me to spend the night in such a diverse culture i was mesmerized by the stuff they can do we took our Desert safari dubai deals from https://www.yourtripdubai.com/overnightsafari, it was recommended online, and their drivers and guides were amazing

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb