September in Abu Dhabi


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
September 30th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

042042042

Ramadan Festivities
The weather!....

At the start of September, AD was still unbareably hot.....like 45 degrees every day!..with high humidity.....so it was an effort or stupidity to go outside much during the day. The dash to your car or waiting for a taxi was a debateable scenario...do you bother or not?

I am pleased to report that by the months end, the weather has pleasantly changed! We are still in high 30's, but that now feels like a cool day...and there is a breeze..which you dont often get. There has even been the odd sighting of a cloud or two.( seriously...we usually don't have clouds) Soon we will be able to resume our Corniche evening walks I hope! (well I walk,.. Paul often runs!)

With the weather improving & Ramadan over life can resume almost to normal. Shops & cafes are all open again, school summer holidays are over...the masses of Abudhabians & expats who fled the country during the summer months (this max exodus is the norm) are all trickling into town again. The opening of Australias' "Jones the Grocer" (very cool cafe & grocer), was a big excitement for all us Aussies here....Woollahara came to AD!

Little details...

Get used to riding in taxis without seatbelts!... pushbikes with no helmets or lights usually riding down the wrong side of busy roads.... its all "Sir" & "Madam"...hey which is actually quiet nice! There are no street numbers on any buildings, so giving directions & getting taxis can be a challenge, you have to describe the nearest landmark or well known highrise... & to go behind a building is called "backside" of X building....Cars park anywhere, which I have mentioned before, including in the middle of the streets & on pedestrian crossings.....some cars are left running while their owner shops etc..to keep the aircon going in the car....so cool on their return!

Beautiful perfume shops,especially the Arabic oil pefumes & beautiful bottles... old mosques on most corners with loud speakers hailing the call to prayer ... lots of Morrocan mint tea, the best homous ever!.. non stop sunshine....non stop construction on building sites close to apartment!...getting used to daily pool...its a hard life!, especially when its on the rooftop!!

Ok more to come....


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

145145
145

Corniche lake
159159
159

Sheesha cafe, Corniche
291291
291

Corniche
095095
095

Team Abu Dhabi...
099099
099

Yas Island
129129
129

Yas Island
132132
132

Yas Island
107107
107

Yas Island


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb