I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE!


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
February 26th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Move along now.Move along now.Move along now.

They're not letting me in, despite my knowledge of firemen, er, I mean fire fighting.
Fire, mankind's fifth oldest tool after knives, fishing rods, cricket bats and Black & Decker workmates. Much like women, fire is a wonderful slave, yet a terrible mistress.

Come to think about it, there are quite a few similarities between fire and women, we all like to see them writhe and dance, they are harder to get going when it's cold, they get out of control very quickly - especially if flammable spirits are involved, they are both good at burning your dinner, it's great fun squirting them with water and they will both f*ck your car up if you let them near it unsupervised. Also, if one gets out of hand, you are best off ringing 999 sooner rather than later and they will calm down if you whack them for long enough with those big rubber mats on the end of a broom handle like you used to get at Stockgrove Park when we had a long dry summer. Basically Women = Fire.

That is probably why there was such a big crowd downing tools and trying to gawk at the source of the 1000 foot high plume of black smoke that appeared over Musaffah the other
Black! It's all black!Black! It's all black!Black! It's all black!

The sky had quide lidderally, turned black.
day. I happened to be visiting a client near the fire at the time, but despite my pleas with the Police keeping the gawkers away - I was there for journalistic reasons - they wouldn't let me any closer, so sorry about the poor quality shots.

Considering the dense toxic smoke, I could only assume that a container of children's toys were ablaze, but disappointingly, it turned out to be 10,000 gallons of diesel, a container lorry, a dumper truck, a cherry picker Land Rover and a few cars.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SmokeSmoke
Smoke

Even smokier than an NDT cabin from the 80's.
TankerTanker
Tanker

See what you can do with just 10,000 gallons of diesel?
Poor old Land RoverPoor old Land Rover
Poor old Land Rover

Look at the poor old thing, Birmabrite all melted.
BurnoutBurnout
Burnout

These tyres were about 20m away from the blaze, but still got hot enough to catch alight. It must have been hotter than one of my dance moves, if you can believe that.


26th February 2007

Maniac
Did you you find what caused the fire? Was it an accident or was it caused by some maniac arsonist. Let's face it, fire has a strange hypnotic quality, destructive but beautiful at the same time. Ooooh lovely, lovely fire............................................sorry.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb