Fairy Towers and Balloons


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
May 7th 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.6486, 34.8639

We did not have the best introductions to Goreme....
Our campsite was just over 2km outside of the town, up a long, winding, steep cobbled road. The view over the Pigeon and Rose valleys was spectacular. As we pulled up, ready to set up camp, the heavens opened.... it was quite a sight! But the majority decided it was not the time to fight with our tents, so all went along to the next town to do a cook shop. Which, in itself was successful, however the truck breaking down was not part of the plan.
Adam attempted numerous times to restart the beast, but she was not having it. So a mini bus was booked to take the 16 of us, everyone's main packs as well as little bags, tents, sleeping bags/mats and the kitchen/food for that night. Needless to say it was a slight squidge to pack it all in. The driver looked in amazement, as more and more kit appeared.I should think the vehicle sat pretty low by the time we were finished.By the time we arrived back at the campsite, all I wanted to do was crawl into my tent and sleep, after having a windy nights sleep the previous night. This however was bottom of the list, as sods law I was cooking. At least it was only tuna pasta bake.... without the baking .... in the campsite's kitchen, not over fire.... thankful for small mercies and all that. We also had some baklarva that Tim had bought us all as it was his birthday! Yummy!

The following morning, post breakfast, it was extreme truck cleaning time. The entire truck was stripped of all of its contents, and cleaned to within an inch of its life. I was on the kitchen crew and ended up scrubbing the pans that had been sat in the fire for the last month with sand and brilo pads in an attempt to turn them silver again, It sure was a mission and a half and i ended up being as black as they had been by the end! It would have been quite a sense of achievement if they weren't going to be put straight back in a fire within a day and end up just as black again. After a LONG shower, we headed into town (2.5km) downhill, passed the museum, in the search of food. We headed for fatboys, a bar which Polly had recommended. It was run by an Australian, so had a lovely vibe, free wifi, free pool table and a gooooood menu! I had some very garlicly humous with lots of yummy bread and vege.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb