MARY'S HOUSE EFFES


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
July 23rd 2015
Published: August 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Mary’s House Effes Turkey



Historians in Turkey ( and elsewhere) firmly believe that Mary ( mother of Jesus) lived out her last days in Efes ( Ephesus).

And the story is that her house was at the top of a steep hill -358 meters up.

Part way up a gold statue was erected by The American Society of Ephesus in honour of the Virgin Mary.

Climatic conditions at the top of the hill are much more pleasant than below- where it can be scorchingly hot. Views from the top are spectacular – but it’s a long walk down to get groceries. As you might expect its very quiet and peaceful at the summit.



The house itself is long gone.

On the foundations of the original house a chapel has been built. That chapel has been dated back to the 1st and 4th century - The most recent renovations were completed in 1951.

In 1891 an expedition was sent from Germany to find the site. So then it was discovered by the western world. That expedition was sent after an invalided German nun ( Catherine Emmerich ) who had never left her native Germany described in great detail the topography and numerous details of the site of Mary’s House. The site was discovered exactly as Catherine Emmerich had described it.

Its a truly peaceful place.



Something that surprised me is how the Koran refers to Mary. Not surprisingly then many Turks were visiting on the day we visited.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb