Tlos and Saklikent Gorge


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
October 5th 2012
Published: October 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

05 October 2012

Another coach trip day which turned out to be quite exciting in the end.

The first stop was Tlos, an ancient city of the Lycian civilisation which dates back to at least the 12th century BC. It included tombs carved into the rock face and an Ottoman fortress which gave airy views of the surrounding country.

Then we moved on to the spectacular Saklikent Gorge. Before going into it we had an excellent lunch of locally produced trout sitting on low loungers on platforms extending into the river looking at the view.

The journey into the amazingly narrow and deep gorge consisted of 150m along a board walk fixed to the cliff edge, wading the waist deep fast flowing river and then splashing up what was now shallow water for about 500m. After that to make progress needed scrambling over water covered boulders so most of the party including Wendy turned back but Kevin, Dave and I continued over the rough ground to a waterfall. Just as we got there, a tremendous thunderstorm broke with thunder claps amplified by enclosed space. So we beat a hasty retreat to meet the others at the entrance. We were all drenched but happy from an unforgettable experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb