worth about 16,000 words...


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
July 24th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Here are a few more images of my adventures around Turkey with my mother...


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

MardinMardin
Mardin

This image of Mardin was painted right on the glass by a talented, friendly shopkeeper in the old bazaar part of town. We stopped to escape the heat for a little while and found ourselves wrapped up in tea and conversation.
HasankeyfHasankeyf
Hasankeyf

Ancient cave houses, stables, churches, etc. line the canyons in Hasankeyf. All will be lost when the İlisu Dam is completed.
view from Mardinview from Mardin
view from Mardin

Syria's northern plains start somewhere out in the hazy distance...
Selime MonasterySelime Monastery
Selime Monastery

One of the many cave churches inside the massive monastery
UçhisarUçhisar
Uçhisar

This very bored camel looks quite out-of-place in front of the Uçhisar Castle. It is put there for the tourists that think Turkey is part of Egypt or something like that...
Careful with those pots!Careful with those pots!
Careful with those pots!

You think they grow on trees or something?...


25th July 2008

woa
those pictures are awsome. i heading to turkey with my dad and i would like to go on a hike with him. any suggestions? josh
25th July 2008

go hiking Josh
Turkey is an excellent place for hiking. To mention just a few possibilities: Some friends of mine raved about the hikes on the Lycean Way near Fehtiye. The Kaçkar Mountains are supposedly brilliant places for hiking. Kapadokya has plenty of fantastic places for hiking. Deep in the southeast (near Hakkari) there are supposed to be some stunning hikes too. Have a great trip!
25th July 2008

hiking...
I spelled Fethiye incorrectly. Also, Josh: If you can, GO TO HASANKEYF before they destroy it! It is an incredibly friendly place and it's quite easy to get to from Mardin or from Batman. There are some breathtaking hikes around the canyons - at least a few days worth. However, I must warn you that if you are heading there soon, the weather will be quite hot. It was 46 celcius degrees while we were there (in July). Happy travels.
8th August 2008

New post time now pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0821s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb