Day 47 - Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
August 17th 2015
Published: August 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Well guess what. My predictions from last night came true. No air con and bloody HOT. Not a lot of sleep, and to make matters worse, no hot water either. Cold shower helped relieve the heat sweatiness a little, but then it got colder so NOT HAPPY JAN..........

Got down to breakfast and our smiley man on the counter had booked our day tour, but then we dropped the bombshell in his lap. Think he got the message and offered to get the hot water fixed in 15 mins so we could have a shower - no time before trip anyway. He did say the air con should also be fixed - here's hoping.....

Little bus arrives at 0830 and we climb aboard. Quite a few others. We drive through the streets and then turn into a car park. Hmm, then another bus, and another. Looks like we are to be spread around the buses according to the number on our chests. Sure enough, some go to bus no 4, others to 3 and we are told to stay put on no 5. Away we go with our guide (can't recall his name but he had a big Rod Marsh moustache).

We arrive at a point where we are told to get out and we will walk now until after lunch so the bus departs. We wande to the square outside the Blue Mosque where there are memorials to the some of the old Turkish sultans. Then we enter the mosque. Chris has to get a scarf and frock as her shorts are to short. I am ok. She looks like a nun and is not very happy coz she is now much hotter. This place is huge and the walls are adorned with blue mosaic tiles everywhere. There are cables all over holding the lights. I ask why they are there, explains that in the olden days they were oil lights so the people had to be able to re-fill them (all a little short over here).

Did I mention shoes off, so we are tamping around barefoot with our shoes (thongs) in a plastic bag. Eventually out then onto the Sofia church behind the mosque. This is now a museum but was once an Orthodox Church then a mosque. Huge icons all over the place which were uncovered after the Muslims plastered over them. The altar face north South, but the carpet and later buildings face South East (to Mecca). It looks weird as your eye takes you to the altar, but when you look down to the carpet it is then dragged towards Mecca.

We get some free time here and wander around looking at the icons and other bits. We are meant to be back at 1040. Most are back, but we have lost some of a family of 6. Waiting, finally 15 minutes later they arrive. Hmm. Off we go again to the bazaar, through the streets. we get close, then turn into a shop that says it is Istanbul handcrafts. I smell a rat. Sure enough we are ushered up to a viewing room wher a slick sales dude starts to talk about Turkish carpets. A bit of history then his guys start rolling out squares, runners, etc. in front of us. Tea and water arrive. More mats, squares and evens little ones. Feel this, look at this. No one is willing to move, then Chris asks a question about how much. Oops, he has one on a hook. Prices come out, people fall over. A little square about 30cm with the 30% discount is $90. Hmm, I say $90 AUD and he laughs. I laugh back and say no. He persists, the price drops immediately. I am on my way out now and he follows with the carpet in hand. Eventually I leave, but that is after we have been Ikea'd - down stairs through their jewellery shop and other souvenirs. No, no, no (thanks).

Out on the street and we now get shown the bazaar and have about 1 hour to wander, then meet back at Starbucks by 1220 where we will then walk to lunch. Think most people are pissed off at having to waste time at carpet store. Anyhow, we wander through the bazaar. Busy place with lots of gaudy gold jewellery everywhere. People trying to get you in the door, then into the leather area. Same again, but even stronger here. If I am asked once, I am asked a hundred times to buy Chris a leather jacket or bag. No, I say, she doesn't deserve any - that puts them back a little, but they still persist. Eventually escape theit clutches and wander a bit more. Time is up and we get back to Starbucks by 1215. Look at a few more shops, then most are back by 1230 when he says that is long enough and away we go. 3 are missing, but he has told everyone where we are eating (lunch is included).

We eat and near the end, the missing 3 arrive and have their lunch. Off we go to the bus again and around town to another mosque (little Sofia). Another Orthodox Church converted to a mosque, same issue with altar and carpet. Getting hotter now. As we walk up the street someone drops a bag of rubbish from the roof of an apartment just missing some of us - lucky. Our last call for the tour is the Topkapi palace. This place is on a huge area of land, gardens in the first entrance then the palace is in the next level of walls. There are crown jewels and other pieces of exquisite stuff with a huge diamond surronded by smaller ones.

Walk out to the terrace and the view is fantastic over the Bosphorus Strait. Lots of water activity here, ships, ferries, etc. we are given time on our own but decide to quit the tour here and go our own way. We head off for the Spice Bazaar. Walking up past the underground cisterns we look at the map, big mistake. We are confronted by a dude asking if we need help. No thanks. He is learning English and wants to practice. I say no thanks but Chris chats a little. Next thing another one appears - this is looking like a stitch up. Sure enough, come into my shop. Carpet shop. Before I can say anything Chris tells him to bugger off, then he tries another line, same answer - bugger off. We escape him only to be confronted by another. I nearly lose it this time and teach them some real Aussie phrases but he backs away.

Finally find the Spice Bazaar. Another super busy place, stalls everywhere but this time spices, Turkish delights and baklava mixed with clothes, toys and shoes. Boy, what a place. Wander for ages then decide to do a boat cruise on the Bosphorus. Get to the ferry terminal and a trip is leaving in 4 minutes. Decision made, on we hop. The trip takes 1.5 hours and just moves up the strait into the top of the suburbs interesting mix of houses, industry and indulgence. At one point we pass an island which has a club/hotel type of building. Turns out to be a soccer club which owns it and it is renowned for its exclusivity. Can only be accessed by water and you have to be a member or invited guest. Lots of the rich and famous out around the pools.

Back to town and we walk back towards our hotel hoping the ills of last night have been fixed. Decide to eat first so find a different restaurant and eat. Back to the hotel and first thing we ask is if the air con and water have been fixed. Yes and yes. Ok we will test. Sure enough, all is good in the world again. Now we are happy and go up to the roof top terrace for a drinks looking over the gardens of the palace next door to us. Nice breeze coming in from the river so it is very pleasant.

Sore feet washed and into bed........

Advertisement



Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb