Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
August 18th 2015
Published: August 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today began with a visit to Hagia Sophia…Holy Wisdom…something that we all seek for a lifetime, here in Istanbul remains a shrine named after this ever so evasive virtue. May this visit to Holy Wisdom inspire me to continually seek holy wisdom along this pilgrimage we call life…

This Christian basilica (and later mosque, now museum) was originally built in the 4th century from materials gathered from throughout the Roman Empire (rebuilt in the 5th and 6th centuries and regularly undergoing restoration). It was built by over 10,000 masons and before it was raided by the Crusaders in the 13th century contained over 17 tons of silver and 34 tons of gold. A most impressive structure, to say the least.

Two years ago in my Christian History class at CTU, we were taught that part of the reason that Christianity spread so quickly throughout the Roman Empire and beyond was because the merchants and traders would “gossip the Gospel” in their interactions with one another. If those that “gossiped the Gospel” centuries ago are anything like the aggressive and charismatic salesman of today, it is little wonder that the Good News spread so quickly.



When I was hungry, you gave me to eat; when I was thirsty you gave me to drink…(Matthew 25:35) My prayer is for the homeless and hungry families and children that I have encountered here in Istanbul. May the millions of residents, tourists and our God in heaven look out for them and provide for them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Iesus XristosIesus Xristos
Iesus Xristos

Mosaic inside Hagia Sophia
Central Dome (Hagia Sophia)Central Dome (Hagia Sophia)
Central Dome (Hagia Sophia)

This Arabic writing, covers a mosaic of Jesus, the writing means "holy light." Is the holy of Jesus Christ, Light of the World, shining through? How often do we avoid or lose track or miss the light of Christ and yet, his light is still able to shine through and surprise us?


19th August 2015
Fun at the Archaeological Museum...

Lookin good in a stone/concrete toga
What a beautiful start to your pilgrimage! The Hagia Sophia looks breathtaking! I also found your comment on "gossiping the gospel" very interesting...can't wait to use that tidbit in teaching confirmation class... Looks like you are now ready for the evening toga party!!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb