One of the most impressive mosques in Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
November 28th 2014
Published: November 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Turkey’s cultural capital, the city of Istanbul, has a rich cultural heritage. This is evident throughout the city which is home to the grandest and largest bazaars, mosques and museums of Turkey. One of the major landmarks of the city is the Sultan Ahmed Mosqueand no trip to Istanbul would be complete without a visit to this grand mosque. Situated in the center of Old Istanbul, Sultan Ahmed Mosque is one of the most impressive mosques in Istanbul, which means a lot, given that there are hundreds of mosques in all of Istanbul.

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque is not only a place of worship in Istanbul, but a cultural, historic and architectural icon. It is an architectural masterpiece featuring one large dome and eight smaller domes as well as six minarets. It is popularly known as the Blue Mosque because the interior walls of the mosque are decorated with blue tiles. The interior of the mosque also features traditional Islamic and Turkish art with calligraphy, stained glass windows, chandeliers and a carpeted floor. While being a popular tourist attraction, it is still used as a mosque for daily Islamic prayers.

The best time for tourists to visit the Sultan Ahmed Mosque is outside of the five daily prayer timings, during which times the mosque is full of worshipers performing their daily Islamic prayers. Visitors are welcome to visit between the set prayer times, when they can revel at the architecture of this grand mosque. It is also advisable to not plan a visit to this mosque on Fridays during the day due to the special Friday prayers held every Friday. During the summer months, a sound and light show is held at the mosque every evening.

There is no entrance fee to the mosque and it is open to people of all ages and genders. While there is no entrance fee, the mosque accepts donations for the upkeep of it and an official receipt is given to all donors.

Before entering the mosque, all visitors are required to take off their shoes. Visitors should be modestly dressed, ensuring that their shoulders and knees are covered. Women are also required to wear a headscarf to cover their hair. If you do not carry your own scarf, you can borrow a scarf at no fee, which is available at the entrance of the mosque.

Many set tour itineraries of the city include a stop at the Sultan Ahmed Mosque. Visitors can also visit individually if not part of a tour group. The mosque, situated in the old city of Istanbul, is in close proximity to other attractions of the old city. These include the Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sophia and the Topkapi Palace Museum.

There are also a large number of restaurants and cafes within walking distance of the Sultan Ahmed Mosque as well as a number of accommodation options (for more info visit www.odmaram.com). These vary in price and amenities offer and include a range of hostels, budget, mid range, and luxury accommodations with majestic views of the Blue Mosque.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb