First day in the City of 2 Continents- Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
May 22nd 2006
Published: May 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Aya Sofıa by NıghtAya Sofıa by NıghtAya Sofıa by Nıght

Aya Sofıa by Nıght
Grateful to Yuhaini & Thomas for sending me off. The adventure began with a flight to Istanbul which transit through Bahrain. First time in the middle east and I realise the middle eastern pple especially the kids have nice features and nice hazel brown eyes.

Took the Metro from the Airport to Aksaray which was surprising fast and confortable. It was here where I saw differences unseen in Singaporean pple. The pple of Turkey seem friendly and always willing to help as evident when I asked for directions. Teenagers helping little todlers to their seats and their fathers seemingly accepting the gesture readily.

From Aksaray. i just followed the travellor crowd to take a tram to Sultanahmet which was the main attraction area of Istanbul. Its ok to not know English cause much is common sense and gut feeling. I met this local guy. Mufit at the tram station. He was lookng for tourist to take up accomodation at the Stone hostel. However, I already had a booking at the Istanbul HOstel. Nevertheless, despite knowing this. he kinda showed me around as a free guide. He was really a very friendly person and sincere in everyway
Blue Mosque by NıghtBlue Mosque by NıghtBlue Mosque by Nıght

Blue Mosque by Nıght
for he was honest and told me much abt istanbul, the sights, brought me to a nice restaurant, and warned me of the dangers. Nice old guy.

Ended up signing up for a tour of western Turkey cause I figured it was the best way to relive myself of the large amt of cash i was carrying. Furthermore, the tour agent wasn't really pushy and what he said was quite resonable.

Visited the AYA SOFIA which was spectacular as a mosque that have stood for close to 1400 yrs. The interior was magnificient with beautiful tiles and mosaics. The outside was equally brethtaking with its sheer size and grandeur. Next was the functional BLUE MOSQUE which was in my opini0on a ted more majestic with an interior to match that of the exterior. Also paid a visit to the nearby Hamam of Lady Hurrem whose interior was that of a old bath house and lined with the carpets of Istanbul. Strangely, seagulls circle both mosques in the night and the spotlights on both places adds another dimension to the alreayd magnificient mosques.

Later got to know another 2 Kurdish guys age 26 and 31 and shared a beer and talked abt their lives and IStanbul. Turns out that they are ceramic merchants by day.

Walked the main street of Istanbul which i guess was the equivalent of orchard Rd. A eventful anc packed first day and I look forward to tomorrow's tour of the Asian side of Istanbul.

Advertisement



23rd May 2006

Where's the beer???
Joey>>>Where's the beer? Poohy>>>What is beer? Joey>>>Beer is like honey but bitter Poohy>>>I like hunny better Joey>>>Stupid bear

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb