Miller round the world Day 21


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Got to sleep in a bit this morning, since our flight to Istanbul wasn't until 11:30. Usual routine: repack, breakfast, bus, airport. Wheels up on time and goodbye to Jordan. A 2 hour 20 minutes flight over Egypt and the Mediterranean to Turkey. Had a bit of a problem at the Istanbul airport, in that the paperwork for our group visa was MIA and the organizers had to argue with authorities. I was also annoyed that it cost $2 to use a luggage cart, the first time I've ever seen that.

Anyway we were eventually safely loaded on the bus and on our way to Istanbul proper.
Istanbul is unique in the world, the oldest continuously inhabited place on the planet. It is teeming with humanity, officially 15 million but unofficially much more. It is frenetic and crowded and the traffic is the absolute worst I have ever seen; the entire city is in a perpetual traffic jam and both vehicles and pedestrians pay little attention to signals and basically go wherever they want. But it is also exciting and invigorating and I already know that we will want to come back.
 
On the way to the hotel, we cross the Bosphorus, passing from Asia into Europe. We also cross an inlet known as the Golden Horn. We see the ruins of the ancient city walls and many, many mosques. In fact, Istanbul has 2700 of them. We arrive at the hotel in about an hour. It is the Crowne Plaza, right in the heart of downtown. The building is amazing, a magnificent older building that has been extensively renovated, with a vast lobby and ceilings that swoop 5 floors. Our rooms, however, while comfortable, are definitely on the small side, at least by comparison with the palatial accommodations we have become used to.

We unpack and freshen up. I venture out in search of an ATM and find one not far from the hotel where I acquire some Turkish lira. Navigating the crowded streets with the endless streams of traffic and people is an experience in itself.

We meet downstairs at 7 pm to be bused to dinner. It is in the city's fish market, where seafood of every kind is available at small booths. Our restaurant is down a pedestrian mall that is lined with seafood restaurants and shops. We enjoy vegetarian appetizers, particularly the dolmades and samosas, as well as the main dish of a complete sea bass per person. Fresh and delicious. Fruit and Turkish coffee for dessert. We are also entertained by a group of musicians playing traditional Turkish music, led by a particularly energetic individual who weirdly reminds me of Cab Calloway.
 
Bus home and to bed about 11 pm. City tour tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb