TURKISH AIRLINES - REVIEW


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
May 1st 2010
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Poor servicePoor servicePoor service

Turkish need to wake up to the competition from airlines like Emirates and Thai International
In the past I've enjoyed flying on Turkish Airlines. They were usually reliable and the Business Class lounge at Istanbul was excellent. Ataturk International Airport itself is fine and if you have a suitable passport the visa on arrival formality is easy and relatively cheap (last time I paid US $30); the Starbucks is pretty reasonable and the shops are good enough.

But, but.....

My experience with Turkish Airlines last time I flew from Georgia via Istanbul to Bangkok in March 2010 was pretty disappointing. The aircraft have become quite old (at least on the short routes) and the colour scheme (light blue) is not pleasing. The connecting flight was delayed 5 hours - yes, it happens everywhere - but the Business Class lounge at Istanbul seems to have been moved down market. It's now located at the end of the departure hall and the facilities are basic to say the least. The food was absolutely AWFUL, it was over-crowded and the seats were uncomfortable. Worse, there was no feeling that one was being a little pampered - check out the Emirates lounge in Dubai where you get fresh food of all sorts, plentiful drink and an ambience that reflects one is paying substantially more for the privilege.

Turkish kept us hanging on with minimal information until the plane left. There was no explanation for the delay and no apology. Then the staff simply put on their coats and went home for the night leaving us with the cleaners. Eventually we found our own way to the plane.

Such is life, you may say, but Turkish is now part of the Star Alliance and has to compete with the likes of Thai International where the service is as they say, as smooth as silk. For my part I'll be avoiding Turkish now; what a pity.

For more about Quartermaine's World please visit FoodWorks and Fitness

Advertisement



9th September 2010

SHAME
I fly Turkish all over the world. I switched to them from Emirates because the FF scheme was better, the legroom better and the service better. Emirates expanded too fast. Perhaps the Turks are too? They have 20 new wide body aircraft on order and at the moment are damp leasing BMI 330's and a single air mauritius 340. Whenever I have a negative experience with and airline I always send in a letter. The Turks seem to take note. I hope the Turks get better. Good luck with your travels Raf

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 149; dbt: 0.1322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb