Istanbul, 06-10 November


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
November 10th 2009
Published: November 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We had a fab time exploring this incredible city, managing to pack in quite a bit without feeling at all rushed.

Checked out: Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Basilica Cistern, Topkapi Palace, Great Palace Mosaic Museum, Beyoglu district, Bazaars, and just generally soaked up the atmosphere of life in Istanbul.

Especially enjoyed the stories of time spoken by the layers, types and states of architecture, as well as the general buzz of life that can be felt on the streets. The mosques by night were just so beautiful. Turkish breakfasts and apple tea were also faves, as was the basilica cistern, a site certainly worth beholding!

Ideally we would also have taken a trip on the Bosphorus, but we didn’t want to rush so much to pack it all in that we didn't get to really enjoy what we are doing and seeing - it gives us a reason to go back, anyway :-)

Also initiated into the world of the Hamam and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great experience! We went to an all women one, got our kit off, and were scrubbed amazingly thoroughly by half naked Turkish mamas before enjoying a soak in the hot tub,
Hero at BreakfastHero at BreakfastHero at Breakfast

Hero enjoying the full Turkish breakfast on the rooftop terrace of our hostel, overlooking the Bosphorous.
and then chilled out on a hot marble slab underneath a glorious dome roof with the sun shining through. Next up was a face mask for us both (silky smooth skin afterwards)... all in all, we left feeling sooooo relaxed...

Much appreciated in the face of an overnight plane trip to Delhi, which went pretty much back-to-back with an overnight bus trip up to Mcleod Ganj...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb