splish splash


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The importance of the Boğaziçi (Bosphorus) cannot be overstated. The strait divides the European and Asian sides of İstanbul. It allow passage between the Karadeniz (Black Sea) and the Akdeniz (Mediterranean Sea). Wars, goods, and passengers - like me - have floated up, down and across it for thousands of years. The Boğaziçi connects with the Haliç (Golden Horn), which cuts westward into the European side, and the Marmara Denizi (Maramara Sea) to the south, giving İstanbul its distinct shape and character. Until the metro is expanded to go under the Boğaziçi - this will take quite some time - the enormous "sea buses" remain the most practical way to get from some parts of İstanbul to others. For the average İstanbullu, this might just be a mundane part of the daily commute, but for me, it means a picturesque urban cruise for about $1.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Galata BridgeGalata Bridge
Galata Bridge

The Galata Bridge spans the Golden Horn on the European Side. It is filled with restaurants and hookah bars on the lower level, fisherman and traffic up top.
puppypuppy
puppy

Straying away from the theme, but who doesn't love a puppy?
heading to Europeheading to Europe
heading to Europe

In the distance you can see the Aya Sofia and the Sultanahmet Camii (Blue Mosque)
cruisin'cruisin'
cruisin'

Busted - the girl in the back of this picture caught me taking this sneaky picture.
EminönüEminönü
Eminönü

The Yeni Camii ("New Mosque" - after 400 years they apparently haven't considered renaming it...) is on the left and on the right, off in the distance, is the massive Süleymaniye Camii.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb