Fener neighbourhood Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
July 20th 2021
Published: July 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Enjoyed my first tour with Salih.http://www.heygo.com

Fener was historically the most important Greek quarter of the city, just a short walk up from the Golden Horn. It flourished after the capture of Constantinople by the Ottomans when the Sultan encouraged the Orthodox people to settle there, and it became a prosperous and prosperous district.

From the 18th century until the end of the Ottoman Empire, it was to decline and almost fall into ruin in the mid-1950s as a result of the programme that drove the Greek people out, forcing them to leave Istanbul.

We saw the imposing Greek Orthodox High School in red bricks.

Nowadays, it is one of the most charming neighborhoods in Istanbul, It is experiencing a new lease of life since the 2000s with the Unesco plan that has allowed the restoration of more than a hundred buildings.

We stopped at the children's charity, which was established to serve disadvantaged children Within the scope of the project, children of different ages are offered breakfast and lunch every day & also benefit from the project both playing games and taking lessons in various subjects.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement








Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb