ISTANBUL A CITY OF CONTRASTS


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
September 8th 2011
Published: September 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Ataturk Airport to Sultanahmet


Additional maps: Untitled

I have to start this by saying that Istanbul is everything I had ever read and learnt about it but more, way way more. This is an amazing city and the people are so friendly and helpful. With our limited Turkish we have managed to navigate our way through airports, transport systems, restaurants and speak with people in the street.

It is so hard to take in the expanse of the history we are surrounded by, the size of the mosques, the age of the buildings and the names from the bible that keep coming to mind as we travel around.

Our entry to Turkey went smoothly after a delay at Dubai due to the luggage of a passenger who didn't turn up for the flight having to be found and unloaded. This flight to Ataturk International airpor was short by comparison to the Brisbane - Dubai flight, we had a window seat the skies were clear and we could see the rugged landscapes below us as we flew over Kuwait and then Iran

Through Immigration and Customs and there we were standing in Ataturk Airport with our Lonely Planet Guide book in hand, the announcements being made in foreign languages. These Kiwi Nomads were ready to fly. I had printed out some instructions from Tom Brosnahans website "Turkey Travel Planner" which has been my bible while planning this trip. It seemed easy enough to make our way to the Metro Station under the terminal, catch the Metro train to Zeytinburnu Station, hop off and transfer to the Tram for the ride to Sultanhamet. Well it was sort of like that, but it was starting to get later in the day and there were queues for the auto ticket machines. We watched what everyone else was doing first and then decided to give the ticket machine a go. A young lady came up to us and asked if we spoke English, Anna was from Adelaide and travelling solo through Europe, as it turned out she was staying at the same hostel as us so we leaned on each others information and made the trip together.

Anna also had some printed directions on how to get to the hostel, but hers differed from ours, we decided to wing it and give it a go. After leaving the tram we were right on the edge of Sultanahmet Square, there was the Blue Mosque, the Aya Sofya, the skyline punctured by minarets and the people, tram warning bells as tourists stepped in front of them.
Not a word of English around us just a sea of smiling faces

As I said earlier we had two versions of how to get to the hostel, so we just started walking in what we all agreed might be the right direction, Google maps had told me before we left that we had an 800m walk to our hostel. Sheryll and I each had a wheeled type of backpack/suitcase and we shook and bumped our way along the cobble stones, it ended up taking about an hour to get our bearings and eventually find our hostel on Akbiyik Street.

Sultan Hostel is in he middle of this street and it is a buzz of activity b oth day and night with locals and tourists alike. The street is narrow and cobbled , the drivers are crazy and the big tour passes come past en-route to the Topkapi Palace. There is a cafe and restaurant on the footpath and there is always something going on. As residents we can help ourselves to tea and coffee throughout the day The weather has been very warm and clear so far, so all our meals have been eaten outdoors. Anna was off on a guided tour early the next morning so we said our goodbyes that night.

The included breakfast here consists of Yoghurt and cereal, a selection of Cucumber, tomato, olives , cheese and a lovely fresh bread which comes from the bakery two doors down.

At first this seems like an unusual combination for breakfast, but we are used to it now and look forward to the fresh vegetable pick me up each morning. The tomatoes here have such wonderful flavour and the cheese is a feta type. Its just yum

The following morning we purchased some local bread called Simit a circular roll glazed and covered in sesame seeds. We were only trying to purchase two but somehow ended up with five, (I think it got lost in translation oh well what the heck at a few lira each they may come in handy if we get lost and dont make it back to our hostel before dark.


We started by going to the Blue Mosque but decided to return later as Sheryll would have needed a scarf to cover her head and shoulders.
Across Sultanahmet park is the Aya Sofa, this was once a church, then a mosque and is now a museum. We were taking a few photo's and this young guy engaged us in conversation. Ahmet who is Kurdish offered to guide us through the Blue Mosque ( these travel naive Kiwis didn't spot the huge tout sign that he had plastered across him) However this did turn out to our advantage in the end.
Ahmet was a registered guide and this gave us priority entry to most things and no waiting in queues. His knowledge of these historical buildings was amazing and he was able to answer all our questions.

The Blue Mosque was built between 1609 and 1616 and is still an active mosque open to the public ouside of prayer times. The courtyard you enter through is the same size as the mosque itself, balancing the whole building. There were queues to get in but somehow Ahmet managed to get us to the front, where we removed our shoes and carried them in plastic bags. Sheryll was given a blue scarf to wear (Which Ahmet told her matched her eyes) those bloody flirtish Turkish men.

The seating capacity inside was for up to 5000 and the prayer area was one massive red carpet with rows facing Mecca. Tourists enter via the South door from the courtyard there are 6 minarets each with several balconies. I will let the photo's explain the rest



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



11th September 2011

Monday morning at Chubb :-)
I am glad it is all and more than you expected, just keep having a super time and yeah i will hold the fort at good ol' CHUBB lol somethings never change.

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb