Bazaars


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
September 30th 2010
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we tackled the bazaars. The Grand Bazaar was really good. Bigger than I expected and certainly a lot to look at. We browsed around and made a purchase although we were offered many more. After a coffee stop, we continued indirectly (unintentionally) to the Spice Bazaar. All the roads leading up to the Bazaar were also filled with stalls so it's certainly a shopping mecca if you like this kind of shopping. The Spice Bazaar smelled great with lots of teas as well as spices, nuts, fruits, Turkish delight and honey. Simon got some jasmine green tea to try back at home. We had lunch near the Galata Bridge and enjoyed the local tradition of a fresh fish sandwich.

In the afternoon we caught the tram back round to The Blue Mosque which was very impressive inside. Although I have heard the call to prayer from the minarets, I have not been as aware of it as I expected.

I am continuing to work through my "to eat" list, having now ticked off hummus and pitta, mousakka and stuffed vine leaves. Despite Laura's warning about the double-carb servings here (rice and potato), Simon decided to order a side of chips with dinner tonight!! As if triple-carb wasn't enough, when dinner arrived, they brought us a basket full of bread! This is in addition to the pre-starter pitta we had already eaten. I didn't attempt it but Simon managed some bread for the quad-carb experience! We just need to work some pasta in and I think we'll have all carb options covered.

Advertisement



1st October 2010

How bazaar!
Glad you are having a good time and have managed to blog. Did you eat any Turkish delight? I loved the spice bazaar and all that nice looking and smelling food. You should try the apple tea if you have not done so already.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb