Anzac Day @ the Cove


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
April 22nd 2009
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gallipoli


Istanbul



Ah its been awhile since my last post, but have been mighty busy.

From Cesky Krumlov - spent a few hours on a bus, then more hours on a train to arrive back in budapest. On the way ran into Jeremy who I had hiked up the mountain in slovakia with. It was pretty random - he had forgotten his passport and had to go back to the previous town before getting on to my train. From here we went to budapest, searched for our hostel for a good while, before having some traditional hungarian food, which was huge and delicious.

The next day I flew to istanbul to meet up with Dylan (mate from army) to do an ON THE GO, anzac day digger tour. I arrived dead on 7pm - the start of the tour meeting, even though I landed just after 4. (Turkey the traffic is bad and when it rains it's even worse!)

A quick debrief, before Dylan and already organised for us to go out with a few people from the group. That night was a 3.30am finish after many towers of beer, sheeshas and fish bowls. From this I met several drink buddies which include - Anne, Macca(Brad), Belinda, Shrek, Candy and Lisa.

The next day we had our tour of Istanbul (extremely hung over). We visited the Blue Mosque, the Sunken Palace Cistern (an under ground water storage place built by the romans), the Ayosofya - which was a church built in Roman times when Istanbul was Constantinople (the capital of the Eastern Roman empire before it fell to the Muslims in some year a few hundred years ago.) The Muslims turned it in to a Mosque but left the stain glass windows - which are really impressive.

After all those we went for a Cruise on the Bosphorous the water channel that joins the black sea to the mediterranean and seperates Istanbul into Europe and Asia.

That night we had a Turkish night - with traditional food and two belly dancers one male one female. For some silly reason the female stayed on for half the time of the the male and the male was so camp it was scary to watch. We bailed at about 11pm as the the trip to galliopli started at 5am the next day.

Anzac Cove



5am start for 5.30am leave, by time everyone got sorted it would have been closer to 6am. Ah so tired!!!
And we drived for 6 hours down the peninsular until we reach the cove.

We stopped twice on the way for food - it was Pandemonium so many aussies and kiwis. And this year was a quiet year - only 12000. They are expecting 30000 for the centenury.

Once we arrived the tour guide took us through Lone Pine, the Nek, Chunuk Bair for several hours before heading down to the airport style security to get into the cove. I could write a synopsis of the battles but it would not do it justice so check it out at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gallipoli

Once in the cove we set our selves up in the grand stand - and then we waited.

We visited cemetaries, told ghost stories, watched the entertainment (some good, some bad they ruined waltz sing matilda), hung out in the back of generators where it was warm - bought teas and coffees and didn't attempt to sleep. And just when you think you can't keep your eyes open any longer with the lapping of the waves - the dawn service starts.

It a magical experiance, with the colourflaq party, the speeches from dignitaries were good and intune with centiments felt. It was hard to fault it.

After the dawn service we had the long walk up to Lone Pine and all the layers of clothes you put on to adjust to the cold during the night start coming off really fast! They have medics at each turn on the hill as its a hard walk, but there is still grand parents walking havin a good old time. No where near as hard as the diggers had it, they were running the damn thing. The sheer steepness is something you need to see for yourself, photos just do not do it justice.

Lone Pine is the the specific australian service and was a good service too. The spoke to some family members of men who fought there. They spoke about other stories of heroics and bravery which help Australia discover who she was as a country.

After the Lone Pine service I was complete shagged!!! Still no sleep so we headed too a few other cemetaries but skipped the Chunck Bair and Turkish service.

Had a very dodgy turkish kebab, the worst kebab I have ever had. If you do ever go to Anzac day at the cove - avoid the kebab, they are cheap and nasty.

After that we waited for the bus and got some dodgy zzzz's before heading back to istanbul.

And ofcourse we headed out that night - till 1 and we started to hullicinate, due to lack of sleep.

The next few days hung out in istanbul in hostels, turns out my room next to be next to my favourite pub!! From here I flew out to london for two days before heading to egypt.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

First LightFirst Light
First Light

As the Diggers would have seen it coming ashore


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb