Again From Turkey


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Urgup
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

I have been having some problems publishing the blog due to technicalities, so I just published the blog from this morning and now it is evening of the same day and will publish another quick message.

We had a great day of touring again and I made some more connections with regard to One Child's Village. There may be an opportunity to raise funds through some business people in Nairobi, so I will continue to look into that further.

Today we saw the underground city. It was originally built by the Hittites over 3000 years ago by tunnelling into the soft earth made of compressed volcanic ash. The city goes down at least 16 stories underground and was used to escape attacks and raids from invading armies. There are over 90 such underground cities in the area which is an amazing feat.

We also went to see a variety of Christian churches hollowed out in the volcanic ash earth in the area, stretching back to about the tenth century AD. This is such a fascinating region and the birth place of much of western culture. At the very least, it is the area where influences from the east intermingled with those of the west. It ıs quıte amazing to see huge frescos of Jesus painted on the walls of these early Christian churches and to see Him depicted with His hand in the position of a distinct Buddhist mudra position. To suggest that there was no influence to Christianity from the east would be fanciful, if not outright self-delusionary.

Later in the day we went to a Turkish carpet making factory and saw some beautiful $15,000 silk Turkish carpets. A little too expensive for my budget, I am afraid.

Then we went to a wine tasting at a local winery. The wine on a whole was mediocre to fine, and I bought a bottle for 15 Lira, which is close to about 15 dollars.

It was hot today again at about 38 degrees, I think.

We are about to go for supper now so I will end this now. Tomorrow we are going to Konya where the great Sufi poet Rumi was laid to rest, as well as see another basilica.

Bye for now,

Todd

Advertisement



10th July 2007

Turquie
Locky You! Say hello! To Istanbul, to Ste Sophie (the Bleue Mosquée), etc. for me. What a beautyfull city! I am eager to hear about Konya. It's so different from the rest of Turkey. Did you have the chance to see the Derviches Turner? Good luck! and keep up the good woork! Y enjoy to read your jouney on the blog. Hélène
10th October 2009

Haven't Been to Turkey So I am Living Vicariously
Enjoying following your trip. I haven't been to Turkey as of yet and look forward to the opportunity. For now I must travel vicariously through your blog. Enjoyable travels.

Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb