The Caves of Capadocia


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia
August 30th 2005
Published: September 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

GöremeGöremeGöreme

In the middle of more flat highlands Capadocia is carved in and in the middle of it is Göreme.
I decided not to spend the waiting time for the chinese visa chewing kebab in Ankara but to have a look at famous Capadocia. Almost every traveler I have met told me that it was the best. And it was very rewarding!
Capadocia is not so far away from Ankara, just 4-5 hours by bus. On the way the road goes along a big saltlake, the Tuz Gölü.
The interessting thing about Capadocia is its special rocks and the cave homes that have been carved out of many of them. In Göreme, the town I stayed, half the people are living in caves. But the word goes, that tourists are so fond of staying at a cave pension that the locals, who are mostly poor farmers, have to move into new garages (which is the most cave-like building of the modern times).
Certainly I also stayed at a cave pension and slept in a cave!
The reason for the special landscape is that the stone in this area is very soft. It is Tuff of volcanic origin. It can be carved easily and cave homes have been build into it since long before Christ. But it is also formed by the
SaltlakeSaltlakeSaltlake

On the way from Ankara to Capadocia I passed the saltlake Tuz Gölü.
natural forces and many valleys in different shades of beige, rose, and honey trail throug the countryside of wineyards and melon fields.
I walked throug one of the valleys where one can get lost very easily!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

SaltSalt
Salt

At a gas station a truck stoped next to the bus full of --- salt. Probably from the saltlake ;-)
Cave PensionCave Pension
Cave Pension

This is the cave I lived in during the days in Capadocia. Dorm bed as nice as it gets!
Cave HousesCave Houses
Cave Houses

Some of the cave houses are very old. At some places the caves exist also underground. There are even whole underground cities which were build to jide from the enemy.
Canoning, the Capadocian WayCanoning, the Capadocian Way
Canoning, the Capadocian Way

In the valleys around Göreme you can only walk in one direction, down. At many places it is to steep to turn back, so hope it is not to steep to go on!
Rock FormationsRock Formations
Rock Formations

Beautiful forms have been carved into the walls of the valleys, here the lower end of the valley I walked through.
UchisarUchisar
Uchisar

The town next to Göreme is Uchisar. It is build around an acient rock tower.
Land of SmurfsLand of Smurfs
Land of Smurfs

Looking at this picture one can imagine to be in the land of the smurfs.


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 36; qc: 167; dbt: 0.2074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb