Turkey


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia » Göreme
June 1st 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post


After our few days acclimatisation in Istanbul which we loved we set out on our first big drive of about 485km to our first “bush camp”. Our tour leaders consist of Lucy (late 20s), Steve (late 20s) who share the driving and Kristina (our truck which is also in her late 20s) Steve and Lucy are great fun and our travelling companions are all really nice too, all in 40’s/50s. There are only 8 of us on this leg of the journey as there have been a few visa problems so some have had to cancel. We had hoped to set up camp by a lake but unfortunately the dirt track leading to it was closed! Therefore our bush camp was found and to the dismay of the ladies turned out to be a “bushless” camp. It was great fun setting up camp and cooking a wonderful meal. We had constant visitors from the local village coming through continually and one just sat near the truck and observed us all for about half an hour! One asked if we were Romanian gypsies! I hadn’t realised that we looked so awful on our first day of camping! The tent was cold and without James’s thermal mass to keep me warm I spent quite a lot of the night trying to get warm - even in my four season sleeping bag. What on earth am I going to do in the Himalayas! The day time temperatures are very hot but it gets very cold in the evenings.
The following day we had a leisurely start - breakfast by 7.00am and on the road by 8am. We drove to the Cappadocia region of Turkey - where the Troglodytes lived (some while ago). Funny I thought we had left all of them back in England! It really is a fascinating area to visit and can recommend it to any of you who may be thinking of holidaying in Turkey . We have spent three days here on a campsite - in proper bedrooms built into caves and not in tents as we were supposed to do. The owner of the campsite offered us an upgrade to a room for an extra 5 lira a day which seemed too good to miss! We are, however, back to “bush camping” tomorrow which will come as a bit of a shock after hot water and showers! Hey ho, it’s only going to get worse! We are in Turkey for two more days and then cross the border into Iran - the present problem being that one of our team leaders still hasn’t got an Iranian visa! This is apparently what overlanding is all about - you don’t know what is going to happen next. We have visited some of the cave houses and churches, some of which have been in use up till the 70s, it is really fascinating.
I’ll blog again when we are in Iran and I’ll tell you all about it.


Advertisement



2nd June 2009

Hello
Good to read your news, have a great time.Love from our clan
3rd June 2009

greetings from Dorset
Dear Margaret and James, it was so interesting and funny to read your first entry and to visualise you there. What a good thing that your travel companions prove so easy to get on with as that could be a real challenge if not.Its bad enough if you have to rub along at work with people but not something you would do by choice. The weather here has been quite lovely recently but now is about to turn very cold again. Rose is coming home this weekend as she and Mike are invited to a wedding of her close friend Lisa.Unfortunately the weather for Saturday 6 th June is not supposed to be very good at all.Dave and Fra are here tomorrow as they are staying en route to Gurnsey where her sister lives (in the lap of luxury)!Dave says that I just have to come home from work at 6.00pm and he will cook us a meal.They will stay again on the way back next week.We\ look forward to hearing more news if and when you have time.God bless you both, and love Rod and Carol and indeed all your friends in the UK !!!!! and Oz !!!
3rd June 2009

My goodness !
What an eventful time already! Glad your fellow travellers are nice. Have a great time but do take care of yourselves and each other. Love Sheila and Paul

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb