Goreme


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia » Göreme
March 24th 2009
Published: May 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yes we left the beautiful Mediterranean coast for snow? What the hell? Got off our bus to a snowstorm! It was 25 degrees Celsius 2 days ago? WTF? Oh well we soon warmed up in our hotel which turned out to be a cave carved into one of the huge chimney looking things from the Flintstones! Actually quite warm inside out of the snow!
Next day we jumped on a tour as some of the stuff to see was further away then expected. Had great views of the Goreme Valley before we hit up the Underground City. Little known but there are 20 floors dug straight down into the ground and could house up to 30 000 people in times of war! Went on to Ihlara Valley for a hike where we saw a sheep charge down an American couple! Too Funny!
Bets of day was the Monastery as was carved right into the hills and there chimneys. Hiked around thru tunnels, caves and churches. Ended the day with some wine with the group then beers at the Flintstone Cave Bar! How could we say no? Beers in a cavebar? OK! Actually someone brought out the Raki as well.
Anyways hit up the outdoor museum. Not really worth it in my view. Just lots of rock hewn churches. They are everywhere in the Valley! Just go for a walk! So that is what we did. Started a hike through thew Rose and Red Valleys. Had lunch on top of hill with great views then hitched a donkey cart back to town. What a great day!
Back to Istanbul tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ah?ah?
ah?

They do this a lot in Turkey


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb