Tourist central


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Fethiye
March 21st 2006
Published: March 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have arrived in Fethiye, which is by far the most touristy place I've been in Turkey. Everything costs about double what it has so far. It is also very dead - there was only one other person staying at the most popular hostel in town! None of the blue cruise boats are running and many of the shops are closed. On the way into town from the bus station, our bus driver crashed into another car - ripping the back bumper off. The police arrived and he was made to sit in the back of the police car. Some random guy off the street got into the bus then and drove us to where we were getting off. Where this guy came from or who he was is a complete mystery! After getting to the hostel in one piece, Dan, Mel, Ryan, Ash and I went down to the beach front and had incredibly disgusting hamburgers. Everyone was very disappointed and we went back to the hostel for an early night.

The next day, Dan started the day with a beer and pretzels! His theory was that it was the only way they were going down. After scouting out some breakfast at the local supermarket, we caught a minibus to Oludeniz - which is a huge blue lagoon off a large crescent beach. We had a picnic next to the lagoon and entertainment was provided by Dan and Mel throwing pebbles at each other! On the way back to Fethiye, the minibus broke down while going up a steep hill. The driver got out and took the engine cover off and the minibus started! After about another 100m it cut out again. So we all piled out of the bus and waited for the next one.

Everyone parted ways when we got back to town: Ash and Ryan went back to Olympos to work there during the total solar eclipse at the end of the month. Dan and Mel are going on to Kocegiz and then Istanbul. So after some sad goodbyes, I'm killing time until the 12 hour bus ride back to Istanbul...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb