"Time to Get Syria-ous"


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria
April 27th 2010
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Syria was a bonus add-on to our trip to the Middle East. We were unable to get visas before we left home, so we took our chances that we would be allowed in at the border with Jordan. Thanks to a friendly chap in an olive uniform, we were welcomed into the country. In a short week, we saw magnificient mosques, remarkable Roman ruins, crusader castles and a mountainous monastery. In between were old cities with their timeless markets, and numerous encounters with friendly folks. Syria was a detour worth taking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Damascus Story TellerDamascus Story Teller
Damascus Story Teller

A dying art in Syria. We couldn't understand the Arabic, but it seemed to be a good tale given the relaxed mood of the patrons with their sheeshas.
Good Shepherd and His FlockGood Shepherd and His Flock
Good Shepherd and His Flock

Among the ruins of the Dead Cities in central Syria.
You Try Wearing This!You Try Wearing This!
You Try Wearing This!

The madame's required dress-up to get into the mosques.
Crusader PicnicCrusader Picnic
Crusader Picnic

Enjoying some castle time with Holger and Ayla.
Hama WaterwheelsHama Waterwheels
Hama Waterwheels

There are 17 of these wooden waterwheels from the 4th century that still function.
Where did that Sound come from?Where did that Sound come from?
Where did that Sound come from?

The waterwheels moan and groan all the time, creating an eerie scene at night.
Crazy for Nuts...Crazy for Nuts...
Crazy for Nuts...

We loved the Syrian nuts, especially the lime and salt seasoned pistachios.
...and of course, Sweets!...and of course, Sweets!
...and of course, Sweets!

Phyllo, honey and nut heaven!
Aleppo's West EdAleppo's West Ed
Aleppo's West Ed

The 13th century souq is one of the world's largest covered markets.
Aleppo Soap FactoryAleppo Soap Factory
Aleppo Soap Factory

These boys are stacking 25,000 bars of hand-made 100% pure olive oil soap. Yikes!
Mountain Hang-outMountain Hang-out
Mountain Hang-out

This 6th monastery was restored by an Italian priest and now welcomes guests in exchange for helping with some of the chores.


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb