So im finally here......


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria » South » Damascus
September 30th 2008
Published: October 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Marhaba all, from sunny Damascus

This is my first attempt at being a blogger - albeit only in the sense of keeping a kind of travel diary to let people know im still alive. I know that for many of you this will be the first you would have heard of my Middle Eastern sojourn but others will have no doubt been bored rigid over the last 18 months with the constantly changing plans, destinations etc!!

I guess I will start with what my plans are. I am 2 weeks into a 9 month trip to the Middle East - but using Syria as a base. I am enrolled at Damascus University (I start next week) to study the Arabic language and am also taking extensive private lessons. Hopefully by the time my trip is over I will be a competent arabic speaker and will definitely know much more about the culture over here..

Why? Its a question I get asked a lot. Why indeed. I guess part of it was being born in the Middle East, plus I wanted / needed to get away from the UK for a bit. I had the idea of learning a language to add to my CV/Resume and thought Arabic was a left field choice so just decided to go for it. Fast forward 18 months and all the crazy hours I put in at work have paid off.

I chose Syria mainly because not many people go there as its not the obvious choice (always a plus in my book), english is not widely spoken and its relatively cheap. I must admit though that Syria being labelled as a secondary axis of evil country gave it an extra buzz. Im never one for the quiet life.

So what can I tell you about my initial observations about Syria? Well, its fricking hot still even though it snows in the winter by all accounts, the people are very generous, I feel safer walking around here than I do most times in Reading and that the driving here is among the worst Ive seen anywhere in the world - even worse than NJ.

The car bomb that killed 17 people just 2 miles away from me a couple of days ago has been the only downer - though reading between the lines it was a sectarian attack and not aimed at westerners so im not unduly worried. Though it does appear that my housemate Chris and I are attracting violence - the day after we travelled back from Lebanon there was a bomb there so we are hoping it doesnt continue for the rest of our trips!!

Im living in a house in a suburb of Damascus with an english guy called Chris, a Yank called Cole and a political refugee from Chad - Abdel Karim who helps us all out when we need help with a word or phrase. All top guys...

Everyday life is pretty much study/read/study/food/tv etc so im not living the dream per se but it will be worth it in 9 months. Having said that, Chris and I have been out pubbing and clubbing a few times - once in Damascus (in the Christian quarter) ad twice in Beirut, Lebanon (party capital of the Middle East).

The highlights so far?

1. Being questioned by the Syrian Secret Police on just my 2nd day here - both Saddam Hussein lookalikes but in the end they were both really friendly - bizarre.
2. Being told off by a lebanese soldier for walking into a military zone in Beirut - turns out we were walking in the Presidents house grounds!
3. Me and Chris walking into what we thought was a hezbollah rally in Beirut (squeaky bum time) but which luckily turned out to be a Druze (religious minority) rally.
4. Being allowed to watch muslims at prayer during Ramadan in a mosue in Damascus. They were so hospitable and didnt mind at all a bunch of westerners imposing on them.

The future?? Well I start at the Uni next week which means much more studying and hopefully a bit of socialisiing. Im actually going to be back home for 3 weeks over Christmas so if anyone knows of any jobs going then, then let me know!!

Will try and do one of thse every couple of weeks so keep checking the page - though hopefully they will be much shorter cos Imknackered now!! Please keep in touch either via Facebook now that I have got round the Syrian Interior Ministry blocking FB or email me.

Speak soon

Dom




Advertisement



2nd October 2008

Awesome
Dom, that's awesome that you're getting to see somewhere completely different than every day life you experience. It truly is a great thing to do..I hope you love it there and I'll keep updated on the blog. Good luck man! - Royce
2nd October 2008

Wow
Hi Dom Long time no speak (I did drive past you a few times on the way to work as I only live in Broadwater road). All the best with Syria, you will definatly have a strange language to place on the CV...maybe go and work in Dubai afterwards and become an Oilarch and send me 500 grand once you have made your fist 10 million!! (I'm not joking lol Take care of yourself, please message on facebook when you have updated your blog All the best Nick
19th October 2008

When is the next installment??? Hope all is well with you..Liverpool were lucky yesterday!!x
7th November 2008

1 blog entry
L.A.M.E try harder :) x
23rd November 2008

?
U gone all quiet...I REALLY hope that's coz u're having lots of fun! Take it easy bud! Tez

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb