Damascus - Palaces and Bizarre Medical History


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria » South » Damascus
August 1st 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Stuffed AnimalsStuffed AnimalsStuffed Animals

How bizarre. Is this a scene from "Little Red Riding Hood"?!!!!
Now that it's confirmed we won't be staying in Syria, we thought we'd best try to get the rest of cultural Damascus done quickly!! For those who haven't yet heard, we have taken a contract in Baku, Azerbaijan from September and will be there for a year initially. Exciting times and we look forward to blogging from there as there doesn't seem to be a lot already on travelblog!

We ventured back into the Old City to see a couple of sights. First up was the Medical Museum which was bizarre to say the least! The courtyard is lovely and is full of medicinal plants complete with names in Arabic and English, along with descriptions of their health benefits. All around the courtyard are rooms with different exhibits. The strangest was surely the stuffed animals. Can anyone explain the fox to us? (Look at the picture!)

We saw lots of displays about this medical discovery or another was pioneered or discovered in the Arabic world. It was intriguing and interesting. Some of the old medical instruments looked more like something out of a torture chamber though!!

From there we wandered through the souk past all of the spices.
Icarus?Icarus?Icarus?

Actually no, but an Arab invented a way to fly with wings quite some time ago.
The smell wafting through is incredible. That brought us to the Azem Palace. This is a larger but less cosy version of the palace we had visited in Hama a few weeks ago. The courtyard was beautiful and the diaramas in the rooms were very good. The old cafe was especially good with its silhouette theatre projected onto the wall.

There are a few more sights we still wish to see in Damascus and several places we need to visit at weekends. Hopefully there are 4 or 5 more blogs to come but we'll see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Eye, eyeEye, eye
Eye, eye

The first anatomies of the eye were discovered in this region
Remedy for HeadachesRemedy for Headaches
Remedy for Headaches

But would you drink this concotion???
Instrument of Torture?Instrument of Torture?
Instrument of Torture?

Depends, is circumcision torture???
VisitorsVisitors
Visitors

It must be very hot wandering around dressed in a chador.
Self PortraitSelf Portrait
Self Portrait

If only they would clean the mirrors!!
Spice MarketSpice Market
Spice Market

The smells are amazing!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb