In Lawrence's footsteps


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria » North » Aleppo
November 9th 2006
Published: November 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lawrie's localLawrie's localLawrie's local

Nightcap at the Hotel Baron bar, which was the haunt of Lawrence of Arabia
HELLO SYRIA!

Total chaos getting out of Turkey, but the border crossing into Syria went really smoothly with our guide Ahmed on the case. The guards were really friendly and offered us things to eat as we waited for the paperwork to be processed. Being a dry country liquor-wise, we all stocked up at the local duty free shop before heading into Aleppo.

Ahmed took us on a city tour in the morning. It was a bit quick, and I could have spent days wandering around the Aleppo souq, but we had to hit the road.

The next 2 nights were spent bush-camping in the Syrian desert which was brilliant. But what has kept me really warm is my nightly cup of hot Milo with a dash of Baileys - you have got to try it!

The Syrian people have been so warm and hospitable. Don't believe what you read in the press.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

YabrakYabrak
Yabrak

Stuffed vine leaves with lamb and rice, cooked in garlic and lemon
Olive oil soapOlive oil soap
Olive oil soap

An Aleppo specialty. Takes weeks to make.
Aleppo viewAleppo view
Aleppo view

Second largest city in Syria with approx 4 million people
Reconstructed hammamReconstructed hammam
Reconstructed hammam

Our guide Ahmed who was a total crack-up. He went to Utah State Uni and the Mormons stopped trying to convert him when he told them that Muslims already did everything Mormons did with polygamy and no alcohol.
CaravanseraiCaravanserai
Caravanserai

Essentially a huge camel carpark in times past. The black basalt and limestone bricks are typically Syrian.
On topOn top
On top

Sitting on the roof top seat taking in the beautiful Syrian desert


18th November 2006

Hospitality
We're just now in the last few weeks of a 16 month trip and our time in Syria is one of the highlights. The people there were so unconditionally warm and friendly that we can't speak highly enough of vacationing there. Unfortunately, we popped into the Hotel Baron bar, too (wanting to feel a little like an early explorer) but it was deader than heaven on a Saturday night.
20th November 2006

Directions!!!
Looks like fun. Coming down towards UAE anytime soon? If ur are don't forget to stop by at Liwa- An oasis in the World's largest sand desert The Empty Quarter and Al Ain. Ofcourse Dubai, they are building the tallest tower in the world here, Burj Dubai, so u can see history in the making.... or rising. See u on the road.

Tot: 0.421s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 39; qc: 171; dbt: 0.1675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb