heading south towards Yemen


Advertisement
Saudi Arabia's flag
Middle East » Saudi Arabia » Empty Quarter
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well... we are now about 500km south of Jeddah. Had a great time in the city.... and surely could have used another day there (but without the group). It is the only city in the Kingdom that has somehow managed to retain some of the old architecture. Everywhere else in Arabia they knock the old down to build new. But Jeddah has kept a few gems.

The heat and humidity were high there... being on the Red Sea. But not overwhelming at this time of year. Nothing killer like southeast Asia. Had a couple of great meals out ... and the women enjoyed the fact that Jeddah is more liberal than anywhere else in Saudi... and they could actually take their headscarves off at dinner!!!! WOW!!! Took a cruise in a large bay near the Red Sea and watched a wicked sunset.. and then dined on seafood. Some crazy architecture in Jeddah... and more to come as they really want to compete with Dubai. In this corner of the world everyone wants to compete with Dubai. Good luck.

No police escort in Jeddah... though apparently they were around and we simply could not see them. Here in Abha we are in the Asir Province... the highest and wettest region of Saudi. But, that is all relative as the rest of the country gets so little rain. Mtn peaks around 6000 and 7000 feet... juniper forests... mud brick houses... and baboons. All in the same day. Quite different from the rest of the country.... so a great place to sort of end our time here. Just a few days here in the south and then back to Jeddah. From here we travel right to the south... to the border with Yemen and the Empty Quarter..... can't wait. I have arranged a 4x4 excursion into the desert... so that should be great. OK... must dash... will try to add pics tomorrow.

m

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb