Another Curve in Transit


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
November 7th 2012
Published: November 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We slept late and nearly missed breakfast. I had told Penny the night before that we're going into a day of transit, so things were a little more relaxed going to sleep because Paris was pretty much finished. She got downstairs in time for her favourite pain au chocolat pastery as well as some bread and fruit....or maybe that was my favourite? We finished eating and got our bags packed, going downstairs a little after 11am. We had turned on the tv to check who won the election; it was big news over here and who knows, things might have affected our travel a bit with another outcome. We decided to try our luck again with the metro as the weather was dry and we had time on our side to get out to CDG. Two big suitcases are a little goofy to be pulling around a major metropolitan area, but, it was working for us, so no worries. The hardest part was getting through the little security gates, apparently the people here are rail thin. We also noticed that with the seats on the metro, if you weren't sitting alone, someone was sitting on you. The whole process was actually quite flawless as the tickets were easy to buy and the connections were all very quick, both trains connecting and having to walk around the underground stations. Too many stairs for my taste, but we saved 30 euros...all of which we lost at the airport on snacks. So, we were out at Charles De Gaul Airport about 2 and half hours before the flight. We went up to the departure hall, and as if the travel gods were watching over us, we had 3 airlines all leaving at the same time. So I looked at Penny and asked her, okay, where to next? Penny had a choice of Egypt, Cyprus, or Qatar. She chose Egypt, but I took her to the Qatar airways check in counter. It was a total blindside and she was still trying to figure out what would be on our agenda as we finished up with the check in and headed to the gate. We were in the air by 3pm when Penny started to accept thoughts of camel trekking in the desert. The flight was relatively smooth and we were in Doha before midnight. Penny had never been past Cairo when travelling east, so when we landed in Doha, it was her furthest ever travel in an eastern direction. Once we were on the ground, we headed into the terminal. It was hard to hide to Penny that we were transferring to another plane as it was all over the signs and loudspeakers on the bus. We were looking for gate 17 and once we found it, Penny had another surprise waiting for her. Our destination was all in arabic, so it gave no clue to her where she was going. So, we went on a search for a toilet, and as we walked away, I saw the screen turn to english, and confirmation of our next destination. So, that's where we stand at the end of the 7th of November. We're in Doha. We're at the airport. Our flight leaves in an hour and Penny still has no clue where we are sleeping. On a plane, a middle eastern hotel, or some other country. Things that make you go hmmmm....


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



9th November 2012

OMG
Will the suspense ever end. We are all caught up the intrigue with you. I am at work all night, so I may log on again later on.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb