Walks in the mountains


Advertisement
Oman's flag
Middle East » Oman
December 25th 2014
Published: January 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hiking in the Mountains

Our first big hike happened by accident. The guidebook had only mentioned a short walk into Wadi Ghul, instead we enjoyed a 14km return walk to a deserted village. Each of the following days we did parallel walks gradually higher up the canyon.

It was a stunning walk and probably our favourite of the three, partly due to the unexpectedness of it. Huge 1000m high cliffs in different colours, following a partly dry stream and ending at a deserted village that is still farmed with date palms and other crops. No one else walking but we were passed by a number of 4WDs.

Steve had booked a resort hotel up in the mountains as a surprise for Christmas Day. Drove up first ting and we’re very happy that they had the room ready. Sat on the terrace in front of the room and looked out over the wonderful scenery.

The walk that afternoon was along the ‘balcony’, about 500m down from the top of the cliff where we’re staying and 600 m up from the Wadi Ghul walk from yesterday. We could see the route we had taken along the valley floor. It was quite precipitous in places but not as nerve racking as the write up in the guidebook had been. Some great views along the canyon with Egyptian vultures circling above to add to the atmosphere. The real delight was the village at the end of the walk, yes, a village perched that high above the canyon with huts and terraced gardens, only abandoned 30 years ago! Why would anyone build there and in habit it for years? There was clearly at one time a huge waterfall that fell down from near where we’re staying to the valley below that would have provided a lot of water.



For the final trek we hiked from the resort on the trail that goes up the mountain, so now we were above the walks of the two previous days. Again fantastic views along the canyon, we could see the abandoned village and terraces once we were high enough up. Very enjoyable, just walked for around 3 hours, the trek to the summit is a 9 hour return trip. Lots of juniper trees and goats!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb