Kebabing around Lebanon


Advertisement
Lebanon's flag
Middle East » Lebanon » Beirut
June 6th 2012
Published: June 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We flew into Beirut looking forward to eating kebabs, felafel, hummus and enjoying a few drinks, and it hasn’t disappointed. It seems kebab eating is acceptable at all times of the day, they also eat a sort of cheese pizza thing for breakfast so we have taken full advantage of both and no doubt put back on the few kilos that we lost in India. But its not all been unhealthy, in the bars they like to serve carrot sticks with beer so we’ve managed to have one of our five a day while enjoying a beer or two. There is apparently a lively bar scene here but unfortunately our budget has us in bed before 9pm when the happy hour ends…

Beirut is a really easy city to walk around as its pretty small, didn't stop us getting lost most days however. The walk along the coastline is great, its pretty busy with joggers and guys out tanning themselves! We checked out Pigeon's Rock which was cool. Some parts of the city look a bit strange as there is a huge urban redevelopment going on in the heart of the city; brand new buildings sit beside bullet-holed, crumbling buildings. One of the biggest construction projects in the world at present apparently; it would be interesting to come back in 5-10 years and see what the result is. A lot of redevelopment has taken place in the centre of the city and the result is very swish buildings containing expensive shops, restaurants and bars; unfortunately too swish for us backpackers.

We also went on a side trip to the Qadisha Valley which was beautiful. It’s known as the Holy Valley so as you can imagine lots of monasteries and churches everywhere; very picturesque. We spent one of the days walking down into the valley and then endured a steep but fun climb back up the other side; the views were great and we seemed to have the place to ourselves.

We have really enjoyed our week in Lebanon, it’s a great country with nice people / culture and yummy food. Now on to Turkey…


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



12th March 2013

Love of Food
Even i think Lebanon is a great place for Food lovers. i had tried Furouge if thats the right way to pronounce it :)

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb