Owards to Beruit (or there and back again, and there and back again)


Advertisement
Lebanon's flag
Middle East » Lebanon » Beirut
December 30th 2006
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beruit waterfrontBeruit waterfrontBeruit waterfront

insightful caption absent
Saddled up in the morning like a pair of caffenated olympic cyclists.

Rode and rode and rode.

The riding was quite good going. The Med spread past my head and onto the horizon.
It was a deep blue colour, gentle soft waves lapping aginst the rocky shoreline. I was definately savouring the feeling of my legs pumping along like two little Thomas the Tank Engines.

Choo choo choo.

After a bit I found Spider in a ditch. He had crashed a bit.
Was now more brown than before. Poor fella.

Stopped for lunch. Met Saed, a helpful man he did proove to be. Although hiding a somewhat daeviant side (more on that in a later chapter).

Rode onwards and further.

Hmmmm Spider seems to be on the side of the road. Whats amis?
His wheel does look a touch angular.
Ahh another prang.
The wheel being bent at several angles. We had a brief meeting about what to do.
In the distance Beruit was spotted, its towering constructions stretching to the blue waters.
So near yet so far.

I rode away and phoned Saed. Our Lebanese hero arrived behind the wheel of an early 1990's brown Honda Accord Hatch. An unlikely steed for a superhero, but I kept this to myself.

Two hours later we had a new wheel and were off again to Beruit.
(Thanks to Saed our Accounting Lebanese Superhero)

Arrived in Beruit negotiating some tasty traffic and healthy looking tanks with big don't f--k with me armaments.

First time in a country that was recently at war.
At least I could still get a Big Mac.


(reached our 800th km after todays 80km ride. Hard cases)



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 80; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb