[To the tune of Indiana Jones] da da da DAA da da daa. ....


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan
July 8th 2017
Published: July 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hi all

We are back travelling again, currently recently arrived in Vilnius (the second 'i' is silent by the way) at the start of an organised week visiting 3 Baltic capitals - Vilnius, Riga and Tallinn. Not an area we know much about but will be interesting to learn more over the coming days.

But, by way of start for this blog - and as we have only been in Vilnius for a couple of hours - we felt we should just mention that in mid-May we had a long week in Jordan. We couldn't blog at the time as Jordan is on the newly established restricted list whereby our tablet is deemed to be too large a piece of electronics to go into the cabin and would have to go in hold luggage. But, as we never travel with hold luggage - hand luggage only - we had to leave it behind.

In brief we visited

Jerash, north of Amman an excellent set of extensive Roman remains

The Dead Sea - and yes it is practically impossible to sink there. The moment you lift your feet from the floor you find yourself horizontal on the sea's surface. You'll see that Paul is still an advocate of the daily printed newspaper.

Little Petra and the biggy, Petra, where Pip was most disappointed that she couldn't get access to Indiana Jones' 'Leap Of Faith' bridge out the back. She almost demanded a refund! But, it is impressive to see in situ. The tour was well organised enough to give us two full days there, the first a long guided tour and the second at our own leisure.

Wadi Rum, Lawrence of Arabia country, where we were shacked up in a Bedouin tent in the desert for the night. Interesting given the sand storm we had whilst there.

The Red Sea, where we had a coral snorkeling cruise across from where the sea borders of Egypt, Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia all meet. One passenger asked what would happen if we strayed too far across the Red Sea. The guide quipped that Egypt would send out the range firing shells before Israel finished us off!

And finished with a couple of days in Amman, to explore its highlights.

A busy trip but gave us a good taste for a wonderful country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.413s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb