Dead Sea


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » West » Dead Sea
November 14th 2010
Published: November 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth at 400m below sea level with a salinity level of 31%. Well OK, the Marianas Trench in the South China Sea off the Philippines is the lowest point on the surface of the earth. So to be technical, the Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth that's on land. And technically it's not a sea either, but a lake that is 9 times saltier than a real sea.

The salt content is because there is no exit for water from the lake except by evaporation. So the minerals and salts dissolved in the water stay behind when the water evaporates. Due to the salinity, it is devoid of fish, but not completely empty of life. It turns out there are vast quantities of salt loving microbes living in it.

The Dead Sea is dying, in that it's shrinking drastically, as the amount of water flowing in has been greatly reduced, especially since the creation of the state of Israel. The Jordan river is not even a decent sized creek anymore. And, many other former water sources into the Dead Sea no longer flow into it. The Jordanians also mine Potash from it for fertilizer.

Doom and gloom aside, it's still a great experience to float in the stinky sea. The mud from the Dead Sea is believed to have many curative powers, especially for many skin conditions. If you didn't have skin conditions going in, it can create new ones like rashes so you can go seeking other cures for problems you didn't have.

Some people cover themselves in the Dead Sea mud, let it dry, and then go in the water to wash off. Others like to have their pictures taken reading newspapers or books while floating.

The Dead Sea highway is a picturesque road that winds the whole length of the Jordanian side.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



4th December 2010

Who r u?
Is this by someone random on the internet or someone that like works for yahoo?

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb